Can you Brew It recipe for 8 Wired iStout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1106
FG 1028
IBUs 156.4
SRM 57.8

7.51kg US 2-row 64.5%
1.5kg british pale ale malt 12.9%
380g flaked oats 3.2%
380g brown malt 3.2%
380g crystal 120 3.2%
380g carastan 3.2%
380g black patent 3.2%
380g pale chocolate 3.2%
380g roasted barley 3.2%

Boil for 120min

19g Horizon 13%AA at 120min
57g Horizon at 60min
95g Willamete 5%AA at 30min
95g Willamete 5%AA at 15min

WLP001

Mash at 149F for 90min or US-05. Add 3g gypsum and 7.5g CaCl to mash.

Pitch at 64F, let rise after 48 hours.

Ca 57ppm
Sulfates 47ppm
Na 69ppm
Cl 127ppm
Carbonates 140ppm

Discussion notes:
Doc oversparged, so his OG was low (1090). Doc started fermenting at 65F, and warmed it up slowly to 71F after a few days. He also mashed at 146-147F.

Anyone brewed this recipe? Seems like a boatload of hops.....

Michael

Cool, let me know what you hear. Might take a while, he is a busy guy right now.

Eric

Both Doc and Jamil responded back that as far as they know, the recipe is correct. It is the recipe provided by the brewer. I've emailed the brewery, but no response.

Personally I am still skeptical. The amount of hops is quite high, even for the style, putting the IBU/SG at 1.430. Again, the website lists completely different hops, malt, and yeast. The latter stated as Wyeast 1272, while the recipe provided calls for Wyeast 1056 (or WLP001).

I haven't found the iStout anywhere here near Sacramento. I guess we'll have to wait until someone brews this AND compares it to the original.

Michael

I just picked up two 500ml bottles of this in Miami - I was really shocked to find it here. $12 each! I'll report back as soon as I try it.

Anybody brew this yet?

Both Doc and Jamil responded back that as far as they know, the recipe is correct. It is the recipe provided by the brewer. I've emailed the brewery, but no response.

Personally I am still skeptical. The amount of hops is quite high, even for the style, putting the IBU/SG at 1.430. Again, the website lists completely different hops, malt, and yeast. The latter stated as Wyeast 1272, while the recipe provided calls for Wyeast 1056 (or WLP001).

I haven't found the iStout anywhere here near Sacramento. I guess we'll have to wait until someone brews this AND compares it to the original.

Michael

I'm not entirely sure whether or not they would have had the beer analyzed but if they did the IBUs could very well be 70ibus with a theoretical of much higher. I know it's a slightly older discussion but most breweries advertise their theoretical IBUs and not lab determined bitterness.

Going to brew this tomorrow. 36 gallons. But using caraaroma as the brewer calls for, not C120 like it says on the OP. Using Magnum to bitter and Willamette for flavor.

Full recipe: 36 gallons at the end of the boil 68% efficiency on a single tier blichman 55 gallon pot three vessel system.
105 lb 2-row Briess
20 lb Marris Otter Crisp
5 lb CaraAroma Weyermann
5 lb Pale Chocolate Weyermann
5 lb Briess Roasted Barley
5 lb Briess Flaked Oats
5 lb Brown Malt
5 lb Carastan Bairds
5 lb Black Prinz Briess

120 min 4 oz German Magnum
90 min 12 oz German Magnum
30 min 16 oz Willamette
10 min 12 oz Willamette
Hop Rocket 4 oz Willamette

Made 3 - 5 gallon starters with 2 vials of WLP 090 San Diego super strain in each carboy, going to ferment each 6 gallon volume with 1/2 of one of the starters.

Going to brew this tomorrow. 36 gallons. But using caraaroma as the brewer calls for, not C120 like it says on the OP. Using Magnum to bitter and Willamette for flavor.

Full recipe: 36 gallons at the end of the boil 68% efficiency on a single tier blichman 55 gallon pot three vessel system.
105 lb 2-row Briess
20 lb Marris Otter Crisp
5 lb CaraAroma Weyermann
5 lb Pale Chocolate Weyermann
5 lb Briess Roasted Barley
5 lb Briess Flaked Oats
5 lb Brown Malt
5 lb Carastan Bairds
5 lb Black Prinz Briess

120 min 4 oz German Magnum
90 min 12 oz German Magnum
30 min 16 oz Willamette
10 min 12 oz Willamette
Hop Rocket 4 oz Willamette

Made 3 - 5 gallon starters with 2 vials of WLP 090 San Diego super strain in each carboy, going to ferment each 6 gallon volume with 1/2 of one of the starters.

The timing of this is funny. I was reading this thread hoping someone had brewed it b/c I plan to brew it on Sunday. Then I see you post and I am like SWEET this guy has brewed it; then I look at the date and it was less than 2 weeks ago. Nobody brews it (or lat least posts that they did) for 2 years then this. Do you have and insight for me about it yet? It will be my first Imperial Stout and my 18th batch of beer. I'll be brewing 5 gallons.

We brewed this on a 1 bbl blichman single tier 3 vessel system so only the base grain for in the mash tun, all the specialty malts were steeped in the runnings then removed once the runnings got to 170 degrees similar to extract brewing. It turn out at 1.095 OG and was fermented in 6 different vessels with WLP 090 with most getting to 1.025 or 1.020, mine made it to 1.020 so it's 10%. All the batches are still in secondary but the samples I can give some tasting notes. The aroma was almost straight milk chocolate initially, which I think is attributed to the pale chocolate malt, carastan, and brown malts. All the brewers are saying this is the best home brew they have tasted so far, so lots of optimism. I encourage you to give it a try and let me know how it goes. We have various people aging on oak. Whiskey oak, brandy oak, tart cherries, vanilla beans, and tart cherry juice. If you have any questions let me know.

I've brewed this recipe twice now and both times have been good, although the second time i tried to make 10 gallons of it and didn't hit near the OG; 1.085. I guess I'll be doing it again!

Latest posts

Back