When to add LME/DME for proper beer color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionBeer

Reaction score
I've done a Belgian Tripel that used both LME and DME and I remember adding them after steeping. This (now at about 2.5 weeks bottle conditioning) is resulting in a darker than normal beer. Is this due to when the extract was added? If so, when is the proper time to add so I can get the proper color in the future?

Thanks!

search (use the google search feature) for Late Extract addition. This will explain what you're looking for. It will help keep the color closer to what you're shooting for with an extract batch, but will affect your hop utilization and require some adjustments there, hence the search for more info.

extract beers will always be darker than all grain beers. this is because the wort is essentially being boiled twice. once when the extract was made and once when you use it in your beer. what i normally do is add half at the begging of the boil and half at the end of the boil. this will give you better hops utilization making it easier to get a more bitter beer with less hops. it will also lessen the darkening of the brew because there isn't as much extract being boiled.

Back