38F on June 5th?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Yes, more whining about the weather. This has been the coldest, wettest Spring in a series of cold, wet Springs, since I moved to Oregon. It's broken 70F TWICE so far this year! My hops are less than 4' tall (Year 5) and the weather guessers are saying more cold and wet. By way of contrast, 20 miles east in the Willamette Valley, it is 54F this morning.

Too bad I can't make beer out of red fescue and thistles. Got lots of those.

D42, enjoy it while it lasts. Supposed to be 108 here today in the Southwest. A buddy of mine who's north of you was looking for his keys to his Arc this morning.

Yes indeed, it is Junuary here in the great NW. Some serious BS I assure you. Last summer we actually hit 100 degrees in Seatown. This year, I bet we don't hit 85. So continues the pattern of mild winter, cold summer, cold winter, hot summer...

whutever, I hear what you are saying, but this is NOT something that can be enjoyed. You guys get nice weather all the time, but spring up here is the most amazing thing to behold. Unless it is like this. Winter doldrums are real and we need a proper spring to avoid shooting ourselves in the face.

NW is really great, Rain, rain, And more freakin RAIN!!!
I get a day off from work and its like o.k i am going to mow the lawn asap...Wrong!!
If it rains anymore i am going to have to get a swather to cut my lawn.

I have one Tett. Hop that is 4ft tall another one that's close. But they are only first year hops so i cant say much. What i get is what i get.
Just want some 70ish weather, Not looking forward to the 100+ degree that will be on its way.

This is why my brewery is named Chance of Weather. Lucky for me, being in Portland (puddletown) we have not been as cold as David42, but it was 43 this morning-supposed to hit 70 today for the first time in weeks. My hops are doing great despite the schizophrenic spring weather. Cascade and Nugget are already 12-16 feet. Good luck David, looks like Willamina requires the perfect season to get you the hops you hope for.

The freaking fescue is taller than any of the hop plants! It hasn't been dry enough to mow since March and my mower is marginal under the best of conditions. Really need a compact 4x4 tractor with a brush cutter, but don't have the $$$.

The weirdest part: 100 years ago, my neighbor's grandfather was a commercial hop grower.

dW (delta Weather) >> global warming

This has been the worst year in the 10 I've been back in the PNW for lawnmowing. Cool and wet. Can never get the whole damn thing cut before it rains again. I have a patchwork yard with lawn at various lengths. Hops are doing fine though. My hallertau is ~12 ft and sending out side shoots. The Kent Goldings and Cascade have covered their arbour.

GT

Hops are doing A-OK here in Milwaukie too. I've got two plants. One is about 14' fight now, and the other is just a bit behind at around 12'. I've been able to keep a steady every other week mowing schedule. I mowed last weekend, but since it's nice today I mowed again. And finally have the baby chickens outside! That's the best part. Their brooder is getting way to small.

My yard looks like the wetlands, I can't mow, the hops garden is under about 3 inches of water except for the mounds. I haven't even planted my garden yet because I can't walk in to my backyard without rubber boots on!!! I'm just waiting for the ducks/geese to make permanent residence in my backyard.

I feel for ya in the PNW. Last year was awful growing season here in the midwest, especially for warm-weather plants (tomatoes and peppers). My hops last year topped out about 13-14' and this year have already outgrown their trellis and my chinook is easily 20 feet (although 6' of it is hanging from my 14 ft trellis!)...

These cycles is why farmers had high blood pressure! One bad season and you could be screwed, and you have almost zero control of your own destiny should that occur.

I drive by the exit for Willimina all the time when I go to Lincoln City. It doesnt seem like it would be colder there than in the valley. What elevation are you? over 1,000?

Latest posts

Back