how long with out bubbles is to long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambiger

Reaction score
hello all at home brew talk

first, i know this is probably not ware i should post this, and i am happy to re post it appropriately if directed ware.

alright. so. i have done 2 batches of ****ty wine, in pop bottles with balloons on top. i thought i might upgrade, spend a little money, and try to get a better result.

i purchased a 5 gallon plastic water jug, air lock, red star champaign yeast, Camden tablets, star san acid based sterilizer, bentonte, and DAP.

i decided on attempting a ginger beer recipe.

i sanitized and did all that jazz.

filled my carboy with water, added the ginger and fresh squeezed lemon and lime juice, and 7lbs of sugar

and topped the rest up with water.

added the crushed Camden tablets

waited 48 hours

got a cup of warm tap water, added my DAP and yeast.

no movement at all. dead still. a week later i re pitched new yeast.

i had lost all hope, and just hadn't poured it all out because of just putting it off.

but lo and behold.

21 days after my initial pitch, i have just seen the first bubbles.

1 im happy that it is working,
but
2 there is now a dark ish red layer at the top, and the liquid is much cloudier

is this normal?
is it ruined?

any help would be greatly appreciated

taste it. smell it. take a gravity reading. if it tastes and smells good then your fine. if you can take a pic of this "red stuff". what temps where you keeping the carboy at?

so i think my fears have been abated.

i tasted it today and it tasted good. sweet. but good.

heres a second question.

when should i bottle?

i dont want anything to explode on me, but i want my ginger beer to be really carbonated, like the non alcoholic soft drink.

i used my hydrometed and got this information

specific gravety is 55
potential alcohol by volume says 6%
and percent suggar (balling) is 14

now i dont know what this infrormation means, but if someone could help me that would be wonderful.

so i think my fears have been abated.

i tasted it today and it tasted good. sweet. but good.

heres a second question.

when should i bottle?

i dont want anything to explode on me, but i want my ginger beer to be really carbonated, like the non alcoholic soft drink.

i used my hydrometed and got this information

specific gravety is 55
potential alcohol by volume says 6%
and percent suggar (balling) is 14

now i dont know what this infrormation means, but if someone could help me that would be wonderful.

If the SG is 1.055, that means it hasn't fermented out. If you bottle, and fermentation does start, the bottles will blow up.

Check the SG again in a week or two. Once it stops lowering, then it's finished. If it stays at 1.055, it's stuck.

If it's been 21 days and it is still at 1.055, then it isn't gonna happen. You waited 48 hours before pitching the yeast? I'd be curious as to why.

Back