Pig Hunting in California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacdan

Reaction score
I Shot this Boar on May 4th at 7:15AM in Cali. He was about 200-250lbs. He was a mean one. He got up after being shot and tried to rush me. I won that battle. This was my first Pig hunt. I celebrated with a couple Homebrews.

PigHunt1.jpg

keep shootin' them. from the special i seen on Nat Geo, they are becoming a HUGE problem in the south. Ah, the smell of fresh bacon....
Brew up a bacon stout with it!!!

Huge problem everywhere now. NY just released guidelines which basically make them open targets during any legal season with any legal weapon, with no bag limit.

Congrats! That's a big one. I'd love to shoot one and smoke the whole thing on the bone.

where did you take it at, and are you going to dress it out?

I got him just North of Bodega Bay in Sonoma County on private property. We were hunting in the coastal mountains. I already dressed him out right after this picture, then I dropped him off at a Butcher to process him. Going top get some nice Ribs, Chops, Roasts, Ground Pork, and Smoked Hams. I'll make my own Sausage. I have been Deer hunting for about 20 years. I usually process my own Deer. California Fish & Game used to sell a 5-pack of Pig tags for $5. They are now $18.50 per Pig.

We are going back again in August. My friend shot a 300 pounder last October.

Huge problem everywhere now.

Well, not around here. Way too many people ready, willing and able to keep the population down. Some talk even, about regulating it.

OP - 250 lbs is enough to do some serious damage. My great uncle always said to never go near a pig you thought was dead, an extra bullet is a good investment.

I shot twice in the head at close range when he charged me. He stayed down after that but didn't die until we cut his throat.

So there are country people in Cali. :D. I live just outside of ATL now, but I grew on the GA/AL stateline and we used kill deer/pigs/rabbits in our yard. They get pretty huge over in middle AL. Might want to check it out if you consider a hunting trip, but I think the liscences are expensive for out of staters. Over there they may charge you more just b/c you are from Cali.

Did it come with the sticker

WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

:D J/K nice size Pig

Back