Beer Vacation in Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibrewer

Reaction score
So I'm heading up to Milwaukee tomorrow with a group of friends for a beer related mini-vacation. We're going to try to do the Sprecher and the LakeFront brewery tours (might try to stop by Miller if there's time), but I thought I'd ask the experts here on HBT if there are any other hotspots that we need to hit.

When at Lakefront look for the original Bernie Brewers Chalet. Bernie (69) was given a lifetime supply of beer after his stay in the chalet in 1973. He was up there for 40 days during some horrific storms.

He was so excited when County Stadium finally hit 40,000 in attendance that he slid down a rope suffering massive burns on his hands and legs. Then he was given a lifetime supply of beer and died a few years later from liver damage.

We were in Milwaukee for HD's 105th last Labor Day....went to Milwaukee Brewing Co...on a river I believe....Also, went to another brewery in the downtown area and there was a Belgium Bar on the same block...maybe someone here has better info on those.....2 things you gotta eat..scotch eggs and cheese curds, being from CO you dont see alot of that stuff here!

I just saw cheese curds on a bar menu here in Chicago for the first time a few weeks ago. I've never had authentic Wisconsin cheese curds, but from what my friends were telling me, the curds here in town just aren't the same.

If you are just going to Milwaukee you could also stop in at Water Street Brewery.

Oh and nothing beats fresh Wisconsin squeaky cheese curds.....

Look up the Palm tavern, Roman's Pub, Nessun Dorma (my favorite), Hinterland Brewpub (go to the louge in the back of the reseraunt, my second favorite), Maple Leaf, Milwaukee Ale house.

We love Milwaukee Ale House, down in the third ward. Next door is a pizza place, called Rustico's which is really good. Up north is Lakefront Brewery, and Water Street Brewery. Water Street is just ok for beer, but the food is good. Across the street from Water Street brewery is a chain restaurant called Bar Louie. It's ok food, but a GREAT selection of taps and the Happy Hour is like 4 PM- 9PM, with $2 pints. They have Rogue, some English beers, and Lakefront IPA on tap, along with about 20 others. There are other places, depending on what you like. There are wine bars, martini bars, piano bars, etc. We stick to mainly brewpubs or interesting bars with good beer.

Go to Kopp's and get a burger and custard. Or just Leon's if it's custard only.

Find a corner tap and Drink a Schlitz. (Really). Ask someone which of the 2 concertina bars is better.

Find a corner tap and Drink a Schlitz. (Really). Ask someone which of the 2 concertina bars is better.

Good suggestions I would personally have a Blatz though...I know a bar that serves .75 long necks all day every day....LOL

As far as the concertina bar that would be Art's Concertina Bar which I think is now Kochanski's Concertina Bar. I haven't been there in years though.

I would not suggest this unless you can get into one of their hardhat tours. The regular tour is aweful and you get three tiny samples of regular release stuff while walking in the cramped gift shop.
but you have access to but a ton of stuff they only sell at the brewery like the unpluged series

but you have access to but a ton of stuff they only sell at the brewery like the unpluged series

You can buy unplugged just about anywhere in Wisconsin, I buy them at Pick N' Save.

Hell if you were up for a drive like that I would head to Potosi and check out the National Brewery Museum

I'd love to check out New Glarus but if everything goes according to plan my driving abilities might be a bit too impaired to get out there. I'm definitely going to pick up a few six packs before coming back across the border though...I hate that we can't get it in Chi-town.

Look up the Palm tavern, Roman's Pub, Nessun Dorma (my favorite), Hinterland Brewpub (go to the louge in the back of the reseraunt, my second favorite), Maple Leaf, Milwaukee Ale house.

My recommendations in bold....also, check out the Sugar Maple, another great bar.

You can buy unplugged just about anywhere in Wisconsin, I buy them at Pick N' Save.

Hell if you were up for a drive like that I would head to Potosi and check out the National Brewery Museum
Someone (cellardoor IIRC) was telling me they had stuff there you cnat get anywhere else

I'd love to check out New Glarus but if everything goes according to plan my driving abilities might be a bit too impaired to get out there. I'm definitely going to pick up a few six packs before coming back across the border though...I hate that we can't get it in Chi-town.
Willing to take orders? There is a bunch of stuff I would like :rockin:

Willing to take orders? There is a bunch of stuff I would like :rockin:[/QUOTE]

I might be able to pick up some extra on the way back, what are you looking for?

Skip New Glarus - too far - go to Lake Mills and Tyranena better beer! Or Madison to Ale Asylum if you are on a road trip but this is off topic.

Where do you get New Glarus OUT of Wisconsin - it is only distribute inside Wisconsin by law.

I went to Miller and Lakefront last year.... Miller was alright, a little drawn out, but pretty in depth and you get a few brews and some pretzels haha. Lakefront was a damn good tour. You get tokens for free beers, a pint glass, and we ended up getting a few beers on the house throughout. I think I was drunk at the end, haha.

This year I went to Lakefront again, and it was pretty rushed and I was kinda disappointed... Might have just been a hectic day though.

I agree with olllllo, I would definitelly take a trip to Kopps. Awesome food.

Dan said he stopped distribution to Illinois because he couldn't keep up with demand and still create a quality product....

I was my understanding that yes - they stopped because they could not keep u[ with production - HOWEVER - because of stupid distributing laws they can save money with a different type of licensing.

In WI you can not buy beer CHEAPER at a brewery as opposed to a liqueur store.

There is also a low in the pipeline where a bartender can have 0.0% Alcohol in his system to they can shut you down. Meaning a brewpub bartender can not have one sip of beer before or during his shift. YET, we advertise the Dept of Tourism sponsors brewpub tours and only tax $2 per barrel.

Review:

Definitely a worthwhile beer vacation. I have to say that I was very disappointed in the Sprecher tour, they make good beer but the tour was lacking. I felt like the tour guide was bored the whole time and then they give you coupons for four pours but less than a half hour to drink them. Trust me, I'm a big beer fan, but I basically had to chug if I wanted to get through them all.
Lakefront on the other hand was great! I did this tour last year and had just as much fun this time around. The tour guide was cracking dirty jokes the whole time and more importantly, you can actually drink during the tour...more importantly still, they actually have a pitstop halfway through so you can get a fresh beer.

Yup, I had a good sized headache the next morning, so it was an altogether successful trip.

Also,
if anyone lives in Milwaukee, you might be interested to know that Fat Abbey Biercafe is closing its doors this weekend. I really liked this bar, they've got a pretty respectable beer selection and they play good music, so its a little sad to see it go. You might want to hit it up one last time this weekend before its gone.

Someone (cellardoor IIRC) was telling me they had stuff there you cnat get anywhere else

That would be their R&D releases. Which, at present, is a beer called "Golden Ale" a Belgian Pale Ale, and it is AWESOME! Very Orval-esque. In fact I dare say it may be the best representation of the style by an American brewer (least wise of those that I have tried). But I am biased, heh.

mmm, Kopp's burgers....................
........ been missing those since I moved from Milwaukee. Many of my favorite beer related establishments have already been covered here, and I just need to say you wont' regret going ;)

Also, if you get things rolling early enough in the day, swing by the safehouse (good luck finding it) and watch the dinner crowd try to get in. It's usually pretty hilarious - especially when influenced.

That would be their R&D releases. Which, at present, is a beer called "Golden Ale" a Belgian Pale Ale, and it is AWESOME! Very Orval-esque. In fact I dare say it may be the best representation of the style by an American brewer (least wise of those that I have tried). But I am biased, heh.

Yup Rich, that is what I meant when I said the brewery only beer. The Unplugged Olde English porter I brought to your place I bought at the brewery, but you are able to find it anywhere in WI. I have 2 bottles left of the R&D Golden Ale and it is just an awesome beer. I wish I had bought more bottles when I was there to stockpile and use for trades in the future. It will be a sought after beer after the supply is gone and the fact it could only be bought at the brewery.

Yup Rich, that is what I meant when I said the brewery only beer. The Unplugged Olde English porter I brought to your place I bought at the brewery, but you are able to find it anywhere in WI. I have 2 bottles left of the R&D Golden Ale and it is just an awesome beer. I wish I had bought more bottles when I was there to stockpile and use for trades in the future. It will be a sought after beer after the supply is gone and the fact it could only be bought at the brewery.
I want to make a road trip up there on a Friday and do the hard hat tour. Let me figure out what Friday is good :ban:

Next time anyone goes to Wisconsin I recommend you find a Piggly Wiggly and grab a sixer of Lake Louie's Warped Speed Scotch Ale. I am pretty sure it won a gold medal. Fatty Boombalaty is good from Furthermore if you like Golden strongs.

Back