Lil' Sparky's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Cal Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
71 IBUs
Color
8.9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68\'
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
This is the best beer I\'ve ever brewed to date. It\'s a great IPA if you\'re looking f
Hrmmm. Can't seem to change the tasting notes...

This is a great IPA if you're looking for something that's not completely over the top. It's a beautiful light amber color with a full malty backbone and is really pretty balanced for an IPA, even with 70 IBUs. This combination of hops works great together. I absolutely love this one!!

FYI - this recipe is built with a 75% brewhouse efficiency.

Ingredients
Code:
[B][FONT=Courier New]Amount    Item                                    % or IBU[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Courier New]24 lbs    Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          85.71 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]2 lbs     Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)            7.14 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1 lbs     Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)   3.57 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1 lbs     Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)   3.57 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)  25.4 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (45 min)         13.7 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Cascade [4.60 %] (30 min)               6.4 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.25 oz   Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (20 min)  15.4 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.50 oz   Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (15 min)         8.9 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.50 oz   Cascade [4.60 %] (5 min)                2.0 IBU[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]2.00 oz   Cascade [4.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)       - [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]1.00      Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]2 Pkgs    SafAle California Ale (DCL #S-05)Yeast[/FONT]
Mash Schedule
Single Infusion Mash at 151' for 45 mins

This is almost identical to the IPA I brew (if you threw some centennial in). In fact, I just ordered a lb each of columbus, cascade, centennial, and amarillo from hopsdirect.com. It's the one beer that I always seem to run out of...

Looks great!

I think the centennial and columbus are very similar, only the columbus is higher AA. The previous IPA I brewed had centennial in place of the columbus (and slightly different amounts) and it turned out great, too. This one was just top notch IMO so I thought I'd share it. I'll definately brew this again, and I can't think of a single thing I'd change.

Back