What are your favorite HOPS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey9015

Reaction score
Maybe someone else can start a poll here but what are your favorite hops. I know different hops with different styles (which may play a role for your taste buds) but what are your most used or "go to" HOPS when all else fails. As a noob (currently 6 brews under belt) to the hobby and here I am currently partial to Cascade. I just bottled a Irish Red (extract kit) that I dry hopped with 1oz of Cascade and 1oz of Willamette and it smelled amazing when racked into the bottling bucket. Open for discussion. Cheers!!!

:mug:

By the way this place is amazing and for all the other noob lurkers out there one word of advice as I have sat in the background and read/learned here is always always always dont worry your beer will 99% of the time turn out.

The 4 I use the most:

Northern Brewer
Saaz
East Kent Goldings
Cascade

That set gives you a ton of options. I'd probably go Centennial and Hallertauer next.

I'd much rather have a mix of different kinds of hops than 4-5 similar ones, but that depends on what you make--I'm sure someone on here will want Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Magnum, and Amarillo or something like that, and they'll be right for the beers they like. :)

I don't have a "favorite" hop. But, with English Ales it is EKG, German Ales, Hallertauer, lighter ales Crystal or Liberty, American ales Centennial. I'm sure there are others, but that is what comes to mind tonight.

I'm an English beer fan, and my GF likes weizen. I typically keep the following around:

East Kent Goldings
Fuggles
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh
Northern Brewer

Back