Coor's Disposable Keg = Party Pig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks DarthBeer, good feedback.
Think I will give this a shot then.

Have you purchased more 6L bottles or just used the one that came with it?
Any one else try the 3L bottles?

Thanks DarthBeer, good feedback.
Think I will give this a shot then.

Have you purchased more 6L bottles or just used the one that came with it?
Any one else try the 3L bottles?

Yeah Im going to try it in a a week or two. I just need find some sort of spacer for an 8 gram co2 cartridge. Anyone have any ideas?

To followup with my earlier questions, I went ahead and picked up a ML home draft system, dumped the beer and found that the 16g cartridges from Midwest Supply do work. I just did a test run on a 6L bottle of water and success!!
Next items are to find more bottles (used home draft bottles) somewhere, and would not mind 1 or 2 more taps!
This is a great little setup.
A few pics:
http://icraftbrew.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/converting-a-bmc-home-draft-system/

It was said in another thread about the home draft, that the regular tap-a-draft replacement bottles will fit the tap from the ML home draft. I haven't ordered any myself to verify this but it seems likely so far.

Damn I just tried it for this for the first time and what I believed was some kind of pressure relief valve opened and I lost all of my c02. Any ideas on what I did wrong.

On continuing to let my new home draft system sit awhile (dry run with water) I believe the hissing I heard on initial shot of CO2 was a relief valve and that the remainder of the CO2 came out as well. I see where the relief valve is, and not sure how to adjust/close etc. I had the bottle horizontal when I tightened to puncture the CO2 bottle. It seemed to press up the bottle pretty high pressure, rock solid, but made some hissing noise in the relief valve area.
Any thoughts? Druncle, did you get it figured out?

Pic of where I believe the relief valve is and where I heard CO2 from:
nFj_JOiTjpNUuRbQUk2ArU7GwQTlvF115yZWJMtNrNY

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nFj_JOiTjpNUuRbQUk2ArU7GwQTlvF115yZWJMtNrNY?feat=directlink

The relief valve is directly above the co2 container. It looks like a recessed spot similar to a screw hole. No idea what pressure its set to trip at though.

and I scored one of the Coors Light draft things last night...can't wait to try it out with some homebrew, but hope the relief valve issue gets figured out.

Are you sure CO2 is leaking from the relief valve? I think someone said earlier that the leak is due to the smaller neck size of the carts from midwest supply...

I guess if it held for a week that might be enough...

On continuing to let my new home draft system sit awhile (dry run with water) I believe the hissing I heard on initial shot of CO2 was a relief valve and that the remainder of the CO2 came out as well. I see where the relief valve is, and not sure how to adjust/close etc. I had the bottle horizontal when I tightened to puncture the CO2 bottle. It seemed to press up the bottle pretty high pressure, rock solid, but made some hissing noise in the relief valve area.

If the contents (beer, water, etc) are not chilled for 24 hrs prior to pressurizing the bottle, then the liquid does not absorb much of the co2 and it blows off the remainder of the cartridge to avoid over pressurizing the bottle.

The 16 gram cartridges I've been getting from the LHBS work great and don't hiss at all unless the contents are room temp or if the bottle is vertical when the co2 is punctured.

There's a small O-ring that sits recessed in where the cartridge presses up again the top of that chamber. I've only had one come out once. Although if that ring is not in place, that could cause leaks in co2 also.

force carbonating would be ideal, but how would you know what the PSI is ?

There's not a good way to tell what the psi is. Although if you put uncarb'd beer in it and put it under pressure, the bottle will feel less rigid after a day or two. At this point nothing, or very little, will come out when opening the tap also. The couple things I've tried so far seemed reasonably, or at least 50-75% carbed at that point. You can then safely remove the co2 cylinder and replace it with a new one. In another day or two it seems to be fully carbonated and enough pressure left to dispense the bottle.

It looks like a Tap-A-Draft.

I have several of them(tap-a-draft) they are great for simple brews but you cannot age in them, the are very sensitive to light and temp !

I've read before that the PET bottles will absorb oxygen thru the bottle over time. You probably wouldn't want to put any more in the homedraft/tapadraft that you would drink within 30-60 days.

If it's something that needs to be aged a long time, then a carboy or betterbottle would be the best choice.

I bottled an oatmeal stout last night and wimped out on trying the new keg. It tasted really good and I decided it wasn't experiment worthy. I also have an ipa ready to bottle. Maybe this batch I'll do it. I'm definately not worried about oxygen getting past the plastic. Those plastic stadium beer bottles have held my beer well for up to a whole year.

Just found something interesting... The Genuine Innovations co2 "volcanic source" cartridges are in fact Food Grade... so I guess we can use these as well... these are available at any bike store...

Genuine Innovations CO2 cartridges are tested to the highest standards for safety and reliability and contain pure food grade CO2. That means no oils or contaminants, which can harm or damage the inflator and decrease effectiveness of the device.

Just wanted to add a sighting in Dothan, AL for the "Miller Mini Keg" and and working my way through it as we speak.

I now have three of these and plan on racking over to the second to take the place of botteling. I overcame the issue of CO2 leak-by by using two different size o-rings on the neck of the catridge. I filled the keg with water and once I found the right combination of o rings I was able to pour out more than 3/4 of the water.

i figure with the carbonation of the beer and less liquid (filled it to much) I should be able to dispense my home brew.

I am not going to try and carbonate from the catridge to begin with. I'll work up to that. I would like to make an adapter to attach a small CO2 bottle to carbonate.

I'll post the sizes of the o-rings I used later. I'll also keep you posted on the small batch of kolsch I plan to run through this thing.

I'll post the sizes of the o-rings I used later.

looking forward to this bit of info.

what CO2 cartridges are you using?

and did anyone figure out if the 16g ones from midwest worked properly? I was just about to order a case from them...

Funny how everyone complains about the beer that comes with the bottle, but everyone seems to "Struggle" through it in a day or two..: )

mykekc,
What size O-rings did you have to use for CO2 Leak? I've tried two small sizes and telfon tape and still are have my 16g cartridges leak due to the smaller diameter difference in the original cartridge and the available replacements @ the local homebrew shop. Thanks

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to keep these cold while dispensing outdoors? Ice blanket?? Cut a hole into a cooler? I would be easier to have a option to dispense this standing up.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to keep these cold while dispensing outdoors? Ice blanket?? Cut a hole into a cooler? I would be easier to have a option to dispense this standing up.

Cut a hole in the side of a foam cooler. No need to go and ruin anything more expensive than that. I'd also suggest dressing up the cooler a bit, something like wrapping it in aluminum foil for a futuristic look.

If you order from KC or Omaha Steaks, you can use that styrofoam shipping container with a few mods with a sharp knife. That's what I did and it works great.

Something weird happened with my bottle. It was rock hard when I put it in the mini fridge. I guess it's too cold or something cause the bottle imploded. Should I open the cap and relieve the pressure?

Something weird happened with my bottle. It was rock hard when I put it in the mini fridge. I guess it's too cold or something cause the bottle imploded. Should I open the cap and relieve the pressure?

I wouldn't let air in if that is what you mean. Did you naturally carb or force carb? How much headspace in the bottle? Sounds to me like as the co2 in the headspace shrank and naturally the bottle followed. If you had too much headspace you would expect that.

Just bought mine this weekend. I'll be experimenting with it later this weekend. So is there a consensus on the best type of CO2 to buy for this?

Here is how I 'struggled' thru it Sean!

TapADraft

can't seem to post pics, here is the link:
http://bit.ly/9IGI7n

I'm with you. I bought mine a week ago, tried a half a glass, and ended up throwing THAT away after one sip. Jesus wept, that stuff is foul. Honest to god, it just tastes like highly carbonated, watered down lager with absolutely zero character, flavour, or mouthfeel.

I now have three of these and plan on racking over to the second to take the place of botteling. I overcame the issue of CO2 leak-by by using two different size o-rings on the neck of the catridge. I filled the keg with water and once I found the right combination of o rings I was able to pour out more than 3/4 of the water.

i figure with the carbonation of the beer and less liquid (filled it to much) I should be able to dispense my home brew.

I am not going to try and carbonate from the catridge to begin with. I'll work up to that. I would like to make an adapter to attach a small CO2 bottle to carbonate.

I'll post the sizes of the o-rings I used later. I'll also keep you posted on the small batch of kolsch I plan to run through this thing.

I think I just pulled it off with a 12 oz cartridge.

1. Put a dime into the bottom of the twisty part to compensate for the height difference between the cartridges
2. Put two #11 O-rings on top of the dime. This keeps the cartridge centered and gives you a little extra something so that you can screw it in all the way and know you are getting a tight seal vertically.
3. Put three # 5 O-rings on the neck of the cartridge. Pull the rubber seal out from the tap part, and press fit it over the O-rings
4. Get a piece of paper towel the height of the cartridge and wrap once or twice so the cartridge makes a tight fit in the twisty part
5. Screw in until the arrows touch and enjoy.

My blow-off discharged a bit of CO2, but then the pressure stabilized. I am pretty sure it worked because I heard/saw the bubbles going into the bottle after my first pour.

Just picked up one of these on a whim for $20 bucks, for serving my beer at club meetings/camping trips.

However, I am a little confused how you actually get the thing to serve homebrew. Can anyone provide me with some step-by-step IDIOT proof directions on how to get this thing working properly??

- Thanks!

Back