Keg to Keg transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrlandoHomeBrewer

Reaction score
I have a strong scottsman in a corny keg for secondary. When I am reading to transfer and carb, can I do a keg to keg transfer without taking the lid off either keg? I was thinking I could push from the secondary corny to the destination corny by hooking up the two liquid outs and pushing in through the dip tube. Is this what people that use cornys for secondaries do?

I have read where people fill the destination keg with CO2 and then transfer into the blanket of CO2 with the lid off. Those transfers seem to be from carboys to kegs.

I just did this when I wanted a nice sediment-free keg to take to a party.

I connected two black "out" QDs together with about 2 feet of beerline. I filled the empty keg with co2. purged the co2 out of the receiving keg, then connected my jumper line and turned the psi on the regulator to about 5 to "push" out the beer. It worked great!

So you hit the receiving keg with CO2 and then pulled the relief valve b4 pushing the beer in?

If you put the dispensing keg above the receiving keg would you have to leave the CO2 on? I was wondering if it would keep flowing after you got it started?

Siphoning only works when the kegs are open to atmospheric pressure... just use CO2, as Yooper said.

I do this all the time, works like a charm.

1. Hit the receiving keg with a couple lbs of CO2, pull the relief valve to purge the O2, then hit it with a few lbs of CO2 to set the lid.

2. Hook up a jumper line from the black "out" to black "out" ports.

3. Hit the sending keg with about 5lbs of CO2.

4. Pull the relief valve on the receiving keg and let the liquid love flow.

5. When the sending keg starts spitting foam, drop the relief valve on the receiving keg and disconnect the jumper when everything gets still.

6. Hit the receiving keg with some CO2 to make sure the lid and everything is set.

7. Live large.

Good luck.

Thanks for the step by step. That is exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to the easy transfer...

Will this work with a corny that is already carbonated ?
Yes. I transfer my half empty 5-gallon cornys to 3-gallon cornys for parties and to have an empty 5-gallon corny to keg a new beer with.

Transferring corny to corny also works great if you're planning to filter.

I love doing that.

It is so cool watching the beer just auto-magically flow through the line. If you have 3 gallon kegs, you tend to move beer around a lot.

The question is, have you trimmed the dip tube in the keg you use for secondary? If not, you'll just transfer a good deal of sediment over to the serving keg. If you don't want to trim it, you might just want to use an auto siphon keeping it off the sediment.

The question is, have you trimmed the dip tube in the keg you use for secondary? If not, you'll just transfer a good deal of sediment over to the serving keg. If you don't want to trim it, you might just want to use an auto siphon keeping it off the sediment.

I use full length dip tubes for secondary kegs. I have found that if you transfer very gently, you will not disturb much sediment. I set the pressure to zero - then add the pressure very gradually. I only need 2-3 psi to move the beer - it takes awhile but I can do other things in the brewery (cleanup, etc.) while the transfer is going on.

I use full length dip tubes for secondary kegs. I have found that if you transfer very gently, you will not disturb much sediment. I set the pressure to zero - then add the pressure very gradually. I only need 2-3 psi to move the beer - it takes awhile but I can do other things in the brewery (cleanup, etc.) while the transfer is going on.

Ditto!!! I slowly start my transfer with slight pressure in both kegs, as I have to counter-pressure transfer due to my beer already being carbonated. This is a transfer from my primary fermenter into a serving keg too. I get very little sediment, but I did cut my dip-tube in my fermenter keg. I don't recommend cutting the dip-tube, just be careful and slow and you will come out with minimal sediment.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that no sediment makes it. We're talking about a dip tube that practically sits on the bottom and a layer of trub at least a half inch thick. I'm guessing you get a good tablespoon of it in the first flow. Maybe it's not a problem.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that no sediment makes it. We're talking about a dip tube that practically sits on the bottom and a layer of trub at least a half inch thick. I'm guessing you get a good tablespoon of it in the first flow. Maybe it's not a problem.

Why not just pour out the first bit prior to hooking up the keg? Just a thought.

I do get a little sediment in the serving keg. I have checked the secondary keg after the transfer is complete, and you see a little pocket in the trub around the diptube. That is what gets forced out at the beginning of the process. The key is to go slow at a very low pressure - you stir up very little sediment with that method.

I do get a little sediment in the serving keg. I have checked the secondary keg after the transfer is complete, and you see a little pocket in the trub around the diptube. That is what gets forced out at the beginning of the process. The key is to go slow at a very low pressure - you stir up very little sediment with that method.

Ditto again!!! In a 15.5 gallon Sanke I really see it as none, but there is a little. It comes out in the first three pints or less after tapped and served. Very insignificant and the reason why I wish I hadn't cut my dip tube. I could handle more yeast that got in to get the 2 qts I lose from a cut in a tube. Of course, a Corny is way less volume as well but still....

If you are using picnic taps, two taps can simply be coupled together w/ a short piece of racking hose, just lower the pressure in the recieving keg...works like a charm. Once I even Mcguyvered two picnic taps together w/ a piece of tape to collect 4 gallons of commercial brew from a 1/2 keg that was due back at the store.

If you are using picnic taps, two taps can simply be coupled together w/ a short piece of racking hose, just lower the pressure in the recieving keg...works like a charm. Once I even Mcguyvered two picnic taps together w/ a piece of tape to collect 4 gallons of commercial brew from a 1/2 keg that was due back at the store.

I just made a 10 foot hose with MFL connectors on each end. When I need to transfer, I just put liquid connectors on each end. Since I don't transfer every day, I simply take the connectors off, rinse the line out, and hang it up to dry.

Can someone tell me what I did wrong with my 1st corny-to-corny transfer? I opened the relief valve in the destination keg and used very low constant psi in the source keg. i still got a ton of foam and i could hear bubbling in the destination keg. towards the end i had a ton of foam coming out the destination keg relief valve.
i used very low pressure and the whole process took 30 minutes for 5 gal, so i wasn't rushing it.
how do i transfer keg to keg without all the foam and bubbling?
thanks
matt

Can someone tell me what I did wrong with my 1st corny-to-corny transfer? I opened the relief valve in the destination keg and used very low constant psi in the source keg. i still got a ton of foam and i could hear bubbling in the destination keg. towards the end i had a ton of foam coming out the destination keg relief valve.
i used very low pressure and the whole process took 30 minutes for 5 gal, so i wasn't rushing it.
how do i transfer keg to keg without all the foam and bubbling?
thanks
matt

Did you transfer with two black disconnects, and go from "out" to "out"?

Transfer under pressure. Start with both kegs at normal equilibrium pressure. Disconnect gas from destination keg, attach jumper, and intermittently vent destination keg.

I assume you could place a filter system in between the out to out and filter your beer as it transfers from corney to corney?

1. Hit the receiving keg with a couple lbs of CO2, pull the relief valve to purge the O2, then hit it with a few lbs of CO2 to set the lid.

2. Hook up a jumper line from the black "out" to black "out" ports.

3. Hit the sending keg with about 5lbs of CO2.

4. Pull the relief valve on the receiving keg and let the liquid love flow.

5. When the sending keg starts spitting foam, drop the relief valve on the receiving keg and disconnect the jumper when everything gets still.

6. Hit the receiving keg with some CO2 to make sure the lid and everything is set.

7. Live large.

Good luck.

I'm looking forward to trying this on my Vienna Lager in about two weeks for the first time. The two kegs that the beer has been lagering in have the Clear Draught system (http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/info.html[/URL] installed, so it should keep all yeast out of the destination kegs. I will be using the MoreBeer Beverage Jumper Lines (https://www.morebeer.com/products/beverage-jumper-line.html also.

Back