So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my double chocolate stout last night and just now pitched and air locked some cherry berry mead...

Brewing a simple bitter all grain right now. The grain bill is small enough for me to do it on my stove and a for a full boil volume.

Bruin Bitter
8-A Standard/Ordinary Bitter
Author: Chris K
Date: 7/2/11

Size: 5.14 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 116.19 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.035 (1.032 - 1.040)
Terminal Gravity: 1.009 (1.007 - 1.011)
Color: 6.08 (4.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 3.44% (3.2% - 3.8%)
Bitterness: 31.5 (25.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
6.5 lb English 2-row Pale
.25 lb Crystal 60
.5 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.25 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.5 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP013 London Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Mash Water-2.15 Gals
Sparge- 5 Gals

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.17

Got a brewers best ipa started yesterday. Had to get up this morning and put the blow off tube on because the airlock was filling with foam. Seems to be running strong now.

Took a stab at Stone AB yesterday. Lots of hoopla surrounding this beer, I just wanted to do a nice chinook-based beer and I can't buy AB in Iowa.

got my house apa recipe going today, changed the hops up and trying out water chemistry for the second time.

I just finished a Coopers heritage lager (lager in name only). This is my third. The first one was pretty good. The second, a disaster. I decided to add some leftover hops and I guess I got an infection - foamy volcanoes. This time I added some leftover (3/4 Lb.) of amber DME and used S-04, plus some yeast energizer (left over from making Skeeter Pee). We'll see how this turns out.

Just finished the only hop addition for the AHS Chocolate Orange Holiday Ale. Probably won't make it to the holidays though - it smells gooooooood!

My Oktoberfest brewday from last weekened got moved to this weekend. I'm sparging right now after an abnormally long mash(about 100 min). My iodine tests were showing that I had conversion, but the wort just didn't taste sweet to me, so I let it ride a little, and pulled off some volume to do a decoction because I was losing more heat than usual.

whats the iodine test...

It's a way to determine if the starches in the grains you are mashing have been converted to sugars. You take a small volume of liquid from your mash(only about a tablespoon full) and put it on a white dish(a saucer or small plate works). Then you add one drop of iodophor(available from online venders or your LHBS). If the solution turns purple, then starch is still present, and you need to mash for longer. If it stays a brownish color, then the starch has been converted to sugar.

It's a way to determine if the starches in the grains you are mashing have been converted to sugars. You take a small volume of liquid from your mash(only about a tablespoon full) and put it on a white dish(a saucer or small plate works). Then you add one drop of iodophor(available from online venders or your LHBS). If the solution turns purple, then starch is still present, and you need to mash for longer. If it stays a brownish color, then the starch has been converted to sugar.

that is pretty sweet

I brewed at hoppy red ale today! Used amarillo and simcoe, Maris otter, Munich, crystal, aromatic, wheat malt and a touch of roast barley. Hoping it turns out nicely.

Waiting for a boil on my PM Amarillo IPA right now. Maris Otter, crystal, amber DME, corn sugar and 7 oz of Amarillo. Chasing it with a few Sierra Nevadas (sadly, almost out of HB).

Did my new version on my Razor Ramon IPA.

1 lbs. 50L Crystal
1 lbs. 60L Caramel

6.6 LBS. Northwestern Gold

Bitterring Hops:
1 oz. Northern Brewer

Flavoring Hops:
1 oz. Northern Brewer
2 oz. Cascade

Aroma Hops:
1 oz. Cascade
1 oz. Amarillo

Not this weekend, but next weekend I'll be brewing two batches in preparation for entering into the state fair. This'll be my first competition, so while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I'm not expecting to walk out with the blue ribbon or anything. :)

I have a 4 day weekend coming up. I will be doing an Oktoberfest and another ESB. If my grains get here tomorrow.

Smburnette said:
Doing my first Apfelwein this weekend.. Does that count as brewing?

No I'm sorry that's wine making. Please start a new thread, "who's making wine this weekend?" And post this there.....

Not this weekend, but next weekend I'll be brewing two batches in preparation for entering into the state fair. This'll be my first competition, so while I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I'm not expecting to walk out with the blue ribbon or anything. :)

Scratch that; after looking at the calendar and the deadline, I've moved up my brew day to this weekend.

On a side note, when I placed my order at AHS, I mentioned this would be entered in the state fair and asked for some good luck. It'll be interesting to see how they interpret that. :)

I'm going to brew my NB Nut Brown Ale extract kit tonight. It will be my 4th kit and have not even gotten a taste of any of the prior 3 yet. Do you think 20 gallons on hand is enough for basically myself. I will give some to a few friends to taste and will have company in the last week of Sept and first week of Oct. But only my brother is likely to drink much.

Back