IPA brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
Here is the recipe:

5 pounds second row
2 pounds caramel crystal malt-45
2 pounds white wheat
1 pound oats
1/2 pound rice hulls
Mash in @ 160*f and bring down to 150* let stand for 1 hour.
mash out and batch sparge @ 180*

1oz centennial @ 60 min.
1oz pacific gem. @ 30 min.
add Anise seed For 5 min.
1oz centennial+1oz Pacific Gem. Dry hop in primary

PH 5.0
1.050 Sp.
7% Pa.
13% sugar

4202009_001.jpg

4202009_003.jpg

4202009_004.jpg

4202009_007.jpg

hope It's Good!

Seems like an odd recipe for an IPA, with 20% crystal, 20% wheat and 10% oats. Also, why the anise? Looks like you dry-hopped immediately (i.e. before primary fermentation started. Is this true?

yeah what will that do to the overall beer?

Well, it won't hurt it at all. But the co2 from the fermentation will "blow off" all of the aroma from those hops, so you'll have to dry hop again if you want the hops aroma.

Very unusual recipe. It should have quite a bit of sweetness to it, be dry because of the low mash temp, but maybe thick from the oats. It will be cloudy, because of the wheat and oats. And then anise. Let us know how this comes out!

will do., Do you think that classifies as An IPA though?

Well, you can call it that if you want. I just guessed at the IBUs (never used Pacific Gem) and come up with around 74 IBUs in a 1.050 OG. So, the OG is a bit too low for an IPA, and it'll be plenty bitter with no hops aroma or flavor (no additions after 30 minutes).

Here's the BJCP guidelines:

14B. American IPA
Aroma: A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, floral, perfume-like, resinous, piney, and/or fruity character derived from American hops. Many versions are dry hopped and can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required. Some clean malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower level than in English examples. Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected in some versions, although a neutral fermentation character is also acceptable. Some alcohol may be noted.

Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to medium reddish copper; some versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand should persist.

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, and should reflect an American hop character with citrusy, floral, resinous, piney or fruity aspects. Medium-high to very high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will support the strong hop character and provide the best balance. Malt flavor should be low to medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or toasty flavors are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. Low fruitiness is acceptable but not required. The bitterness may linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish. Some clean alcohol flavor can be noted in stronger versions. Oak is inappropriate in this style. Some sulfur may be present if sulfate water is used, but most examples do not exhibit this character.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English counterparts.

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy and bitter, moderately strong American pale ale.

History: An American version of the historical English style, brewed using American ingredients and attitude.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate.

Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.056 - 1.075 1.010 - 1.018 40 - 60+ 6 - 15 5.5 - 7.5%

Of course, the guidelines aren't the law, and you can make whatever kind of beer you'd like. The wheat and the oats and the high bittering might take it out of style, but it's YOUR beer after all! To me, the anise is really strange. But, I hate licorice and anise, so that's probably just me.

Yeah this may very well turn out to be good but I wouldn't call it an IPA. Yooper's points about the dry hopping before fermentation and the lack of late additions are right on. And mkade was right about the unusual grain bill.

Thanks, still learning and experimenting with different ideas. next time I''ll dry hop them baby's right. I got the anise from my LHBS for free and wanted to add for extra flavor. I'll keep you posted the results. I also think you right about the aroma for this brew to, I really need to pick up some more because I Think that I am working with two bittering anyway. Thanks for the advice, I'll put it to use on my next brew.

Next time try adding some hops in the 10-15 minute range for hop flavor. The dry hopping will give you hop aroma but you'll need hop flavor as well for a complete IPA.

It looks pretty close to "style", maybe a little high on the IBUs, but meh... who cares!

I'd add 1-2 ounces of cascade/amarillo/centenial/simcoe for 7 days in the secondary before bottling. Also, don't be surprised to get what some describe as a "grassy" flavor with the hops being in the beer for so long.

I gotta tell ya, that is a beautiful sight with all of those hops floating in the beer.

I would REALLY worry about the krausen pushing those hops up and into your airlock or blow off and clogging it. Keep an eye on that.

holding up good so far and has a great ferment going right now, so I think I'm safe. What do you guys think about the addition of 1 oz of crystal hops to my secondary. will that be enough aroma or will I need more.

I think it depends on your taste. I think 1oz of hops would be fine, I wouldn't do any less and 2 oz might be great, or too much. I'd add Centennial or Cascade as the dry hop though.

I did not add the hops for more dry hopping because I only have one carboy. so I fermented for 3 weeks in primary. Then just bottled from there. here are the numbers.
OG- 1.050 sp 7% pa 13 % sugar
FG-1.007sp 1%pa 2% sugar
the beer is pretty tasty for not being carbed or cold, and you definitely get the flavor of the Anise, the one star that I used was just right for the 4 gal batch I made, and I definitely wouldn't use any more than that. I cant wait to try this one. give me a few weeks and I'll post the final results. so others can try the recipe if they want \

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: West slope IPA, 12 Tribes IPA, Wine.

Back