Thousand Oaks, California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, the supplier that the group buyers back east use won't sell to anyone but an actual brewer, or an LHBS. So, we have to get a brewer to do the buy for us. I'm guessing the LHBS's won't want to do this, since it's basically cutting into their sales.
I think the options here are Enegren, and maybe The Lab. I can ask at either one, but does anyone know either of them well enough to ask this as a favor?

I finally talked to the guys at Enegren a month or so back and they said it wouldn't be possible for them to order for us. However, I am going to be making a trip out to more beer in riverside in the near future and they have decent prices on whole sacks. See the prices here. http://morebeer.com/search/102161///Brewing_Grains_-_Bulk_Pricing!
I would be willing to pick up some bags for anyone in the Thousand Oaks area if you wanted to help cover some of the gas costs. email me at chemman14 at gmail dot com if you are interested.

I dropped this for two reasons: first I didn't see anyone willing to sell to a non-retail store or commercial brewer, and I couldn't find a brewer who could do it. Obviously a retail store wouldn't want to either, since that directly cannibalizes his business.

Second, the LHBS that's home to the Maltose Falcons has a special price on all grains at $1.40/lb and 2-row for $1/lb if you join their grain club. Not as cheap as buying wholesale, but it's closer, and you don't actually have to buy a full sack, or pay for shipping. I'm still down if someone can figure out how to get a group buy, though.

I dropped this for two reasons: first I didn't see anyone willing to sell to a non-retail store or commercial brewer, and I couldn't find a brewer who could do it. Obviously a retail store wouldn't want to either, since that directly cannibalizes his business.

Second, the LHBS that's home to the Maltose Falcons has a special price on all grains at $1.40/lb and 2-row for $1/lb if you join their grain club. Not as cheap as buying wholesale, but it's closer, and you don't actually have to buy a full sack, or pay for shipping. I'm still down if someone can figure out how to get a group buy, though.
Yeah I do the grain club currently but I like the additional savings of buying in bulk
Editl: Plus it gives me an excuse to go to the Stone company store in Pasadena and fill my growlers.

Hey guys, I talked to enegren tonight and they said they could do a group buy for us. Is anyone still interested? I know I would be down for at least 6 sacks

I may be interested in a few sacks depending on the price, I'm a good hour to an hour and a half or so South of TO, so it may or may not work out for me, but I sure would like it to!

Unfortunately the guys at enegren said they dont have a price list? Not sure why they dont have a list but it may be a flying blind thing I guess? I am not sure how it would work. Does anyone on here have a brewers supply group price list?

I'm all for saving money but I think doing a group buy for sacks of grain may be more hassle than its worth if your near Thousand Oaks - there are two brew stores in Simi Valley (about 2 miles from Enegren). now. I have bought sacks of grain from Homebrew express a few times now - 2 row and pilsner were both $40-$45 and he had them on hand when I stopped by. If you want something special - different brand or whatever, I'm sure he would be willing to accommodate.

I'm all for saving money but I think doing a group buy for sacks of grain may be more hassle than its worth if your near Thousand Oaks - there are two brew stores in Simi Valley (about 2 miles from Enegren). now. I have bought sacks of grain from Homebrew express a few times now - 2 row and pilsner were both $40-$45 and he had them on hand when I stopped by. If you want something special - different brand or whatever, I'm sure he would be willing to accommodate.

I am guessing the price would be around $30 for a sack of two row. To me, that savings is worth it if you can make it happen.

Do we know who their supplier is? We may be able to wrestle up a price list from another source, but still buy through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do we know who their supplier is? We may be able to wrestle up a price list from another source, but still buy through them.

Yes, it is BSG or brewers supply group. He said the shipping cost is 106.97/per pallet.

There's 40 sacks of grain on a pallet.
And how many sacks do we think people here are signing up for?
Do I assume correctly we'd have to come up with a full pallet to make it the least burdensome for Enegren?
I don't think we have enough interest to total 40 sacks. Maybe we should count the interest as a first step?

I'd buy 3.

There's 40 sacks of grain on a pallet.
And how many sacks do we think people here are signing up for?
Do I assume correctly we'd have to come up with a full pallet to make it the least burdensome for Enegren?
I don't think we have enough interest to total 40 sacks. Maybe we should count the interest as a first step?

I'd buy 3.

Yes,
We need to get a full pallet. I am down for at least 6 sacks. (grain is good for at least 2 years). I also have some people from the local homebrew club interested. So right now, we have 9 sacks. 31 left to go.

so 17
I am hoping to get it up to 40 then find out specifics of what everyone wants and then hopefully be able to get a price for that

Depending on the final pricing, I will likely be good for another two sacks for my brother.

That does look nice. I was going to do a few sacks of American pale, and there English pale might work out nicely. I was hoping for a sack of some white wheat, but it doesn't look like they carry anything similar. If we decide to go this route, without filling a pallet, I can fill my order from them. I'll have to check with my brother though.

Hi everyone. Not sure where you are all at with your group buy. But depending on price, I am good for at least 2 bags of barley. Maybe more. Thanks a ton!

Latest posts

Back