My first brew and label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
IMG_0908.jpg

single-label1-480x404.png

comments are welcomed.

I love imperial...ok, maybe I love Costa Rica and drank alot of beer there. Either way I'm glad someone else knows of Imperial.

Thanks everyone I always loved the imperial logo as well. I was going for a German looking eagle, trying to bring a little grunged herald of arms in to the logo.

Well... they both have a bird on them, dozens of beers do... otherwise I wouldn't say very similar.

They aren't just any birds. They are both based off of the German Imperial eagle. They have simillar feathering of the wings, legs that stick out at a 90 degree angle, elaborate tails, and feathering along the head.

They aren't just any birds. They are both based off of the German Imperial eagle. They have simillar feathering of the wings, legs that stick out at a 90 degree angle, elaborate tails, and feathering along the head.

Well, Polish, Czech, Roman Empire, Russia... etc. use the same in flags and seals, coat of arms etc. Very old style used my many countries.

Point I was making was that your comment "Looks very similar to the Imperial (a Costa Rican beer) label" implied that the 'label' was similar. Same style of bird perhaps but, label was totally different.

Apparently we have an ornithologist on the forum.

Thanks for all the compliments.

I agree the actual name is a bit hard to read, but no one is purchasing my beer at the moment so i'm not to worried about it's legability. I really liked Brewdog's style of their branding and wanted to incorporate that feel into mine.

As far as the bird. It's actually facing the opposite way then most hearld's. Being in the marketing field I felt it was more "positive" to have it face to the right "forward". The polish eagle got a crown when communism died. Some German eagles and maybe Czech? have two heads. But otherwise quite the same.

Again thanks and I enjoy the conversation and history of the Imperial Eagle.

That looks awesome! I like the text. Not everything has to be a cartoon with super easy to read everything. It might be cool to change the eagle color for different batches. Just an idea.

Also, are you going to make a back label for describing the beer?

Great stuff!!!!

did you print the label black? or did you find black labels somewhere?

It's printed On those avery 3.3"x4" labels, it's a Dark Dark Gray, not quite black. Black labels wouldn't really work to well unless you have a printer that prints white. They are definitely a toner hog! I actually found someones idea on HBT about bottle tags. So I redesigned my label to fit and be a bottle tag. I would like to re-use my bottles and removing labels does not sound fun.

The Bottle tag is printed on both sides, logo on the outside and the beer type and stats on the inside. I'll post up that design as well as the one i made up for my fermenting stout.

I wash my bottles in oxyclean before bottling, the labels usually fall off as I take the bottles out of the cooler.

hmm... i imagined it being a lot more work, scrubbing and scratching and rubbing with some goo-be-gone. maybe i'll stick with the labels. I have both printed out so i can go either route.

Edit, here is the Bottle Hanger

bottle-hanger-single.jpg

Aren't the Avery labels pretty flimsy. I thought I read somewhere that a good water soak and they pop off and the glue on the back is pretty weak. Especially compared to the commercially used stuff that's designed to stay on regardless.

Aren't the Avery labels pretty flimsy. I thought I read somewhere that a good water soak and they pop off and the glue on the back is pretty weak. Especially compared to the commercially used stuff that's designed to stay on regardless.

well in about 2 weeks i'll find out. I sure hope that is the case cause labels are a lot cooler than bottle tags.:rockin:

The occasional bottle will need a good scrubbing but for the most part the labels come right off. I use Avery labels and have no issues.

You have some mad photography skills too. THe pics look professional. I really like the labels too. The black (dark gray) looks sweet on the bottles!

I really like the label for your first batch of beer. It looks really interesting, its a nice blend of traditional and modern styling.

Latest posts

Back