Distributor and Shank questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dagatris

Reaction score
I've currently got a kegging setup with picnic taps. 2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Premium Kit This one with a dual body regulator. I'm about ready to move to faucets, but I'm a little confused on a couple of things.

1. I'm going to get a 4 way distributor Austin Homebrew Supply to split the air. I plan on running a single line into the fridge and mounting the distributor to the back wall. What's the best way to mount something inside the fridge? Screws don't seem like they would hold well, as it's just the plastic lining in the fridge holding it there. But I don't want to glue it down either, in case I ever want to move it.

2. I'll need a QD with liquid line running from the keg. That line runs into the back of the shank. The shank mounts through the fridge door. The faucet hooks to the shank. Seems simple enough. But what about all the wing nuts, tail pieces, fitting kits, beer nuts, and beer washers I keep seeing? I don't know where they go or which are needed. Most of the tutorials I find are showing how to hook up a tower, which seems a little different.

3. I want my CO2 tank outside. But that means if I want to take the tank somewhere (say to have it filled) I'll have to disconnect the gas line (which runs inside the fridge) from the regulator. Then hook it back up later. It seems like there is the potential for opening up a leak here. The dual body regulator I have came pre-assembled and attached to the tank. Is it pretty easy and straightforward to take one of the lines off and put back on? This won't mess up the fitting/seal in anyway? Is there something similar to a QD that I could use to make this a quicker process?

I have the same thing done with my CO2 tank. If I ever need to take it anywhere for a day or two, I just disconnect the gas in connectors from the keg, then unhook the line from the CO2 tank. I have an extra line and gas in connector for when I travel. I have no issues with seals.

As for your shank mounting. I bought all my faucets from Kegworks.com They sell faucet/shank combo's for $30 that come with all the hardware you'll need.

I would go ahead and screw the regulator into the side of your fridge. You'd be suprised how well a few screws will hold up, even in plastic. Just make sure you don't hit a cooling line.

Just want to clarify, will you still have a regulator on the tank running to your "secondary" regulators in the fridge? Or are you going to get a high pressure hose to run into the fridge straight from the tank?

The regulator will stay attached directly to the tank. I want to run one line from the regulator into the fridge, then attach it to the distributor. The other line coming off of the regulator will remain outside, for keg cleaning purposes.

Anyone have mounting ideas that don't involve screwing into the fridge. I'd like to avoid drilling holes as much as possible. The more work I put into this fridge, the angrier I'll be if I hit a coolant line.

how heavy is it? Would some industrial velcro or double sided tape work? I've seem some tape that is insanely sticky.

For your answer to number 2, here is a very technical drawing I did of the shank assembly:

ShankAssembly.jpg

Just put all together in that order and I put teflon tape on the shank to ensure a good seal as well.

Or you could go for the welded option and you wouldn't have to worry about the nut, nipple or O-ring. More beer has some:
Faucet Shank - 3'' With Nipple | MoreBeer

Thanks for that, tmoney. I'm starting to get a better grasp on it now. As simple as your picture is, it did help quite a bit. There seem to be a lot of excess parts offered up on most sites.

From what I can figure, I'll be getting 4 of each of the following - faucet, shank, connection kit, liquid line, QD, air line, QD, and several hose clamps. Along with the 4 way distributor, I'm looking at $300 to finish out the kegerator!!:eek:

We'll see what SWMBO has to say about that.

Thanks for that, tmoney. I'm starting to get a better grasp on it now. As simple as your picture is, it did help quite a bit. There seem to be a lot of excess parts offered up on most sites.

From what I can figure, I'll be getting 4 of each of the following - faucet, shank, connection kit, liquid line, QD, air line, QD, and several hose clamps. Along with the 4 way distributor, I'm looking at $300 to finish out the kegerator!!:eek:

We'll see what SWMBO has to say about that.

Glad it helped, I remember when I was putting mine together and I couldn't get how it worked either. When I updated to my keezer I opted for the welded ones though.

Yeah it can get pretty expensive. Just a FYI, I think Austin Homebrew is having a sale on the Perlicks next Tuesday for around $23.95. Might be something to check out if you were going to get 4 of those.

Back