It's a triple brew day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sitting here with my bro SwAMi and we are in the middle of sparging....well....SwAMi is, mine is stucker than a Ford Explorer in a snow bank. I had a 25% grist with rye, and no rice hulls, so I'll have to transfer the mash to Swami's MLT after he is done sparging. Othe rthan that, we both hit our mash temps pretty well. Once we get boiling another buddy is coming over for an extract brew.

Swami is doing an all Simcoe APA, I've got a rye PA, and Jon is doing an extract dry stout.

Pictures to come as we go along too. Wait'll you see the rig we built up to sparge our brews at the same time...LOL....

:rockin:

Baron von BeeGee said:
Sounds interesting. Is this a Hop Rod clone, or roll your own?

I'm calling it Red Eye Rye. It is tightly based on the Hop Rod clone from BYO, but I adjusted the recipe to get it down to 1.060 and 65 IBUs. I wanted it to be big, but the grain still had to fit in my small mashtun and I didn't want it to be so big that it took all summer to get drinkable.

We are batch sparging it now. It is a nightmare without the rice hulls. Lesson learned.

Red Eye Rye? What else did Swami bring back from Texas? :D

Hey now....

Well, both of the AG batches are done and chilled. Both of us nailed our OG.
We ahd a slight chiller problem with SwaMi's brew, and it took a non-drunk bystander to figure out our problem. DUH.

Anyway, we are on our 3rd batch of the day now..an irish stout it turns out...

Well, what a LONG day. We brewed for 12 hours straight, numerous problems encountered (but overcome!) along the way. My stuck sparge. I mean it was like concrete. I ended up transferring my entire grist over to SwAMi's mashtun (with a mash pad) and sparged from there, only to get a trickle. It took 2 hours to batch sparge that sucker. I ended up getting my target gravity right on, at 80-85% efficiency, so all was good. Hopefully the beer is worth it. Pitched on a cake from the Pliny the Bastard batch. Already bubbling. Did I post the recipe yet? :confused: ;)

Swami's batch turned out great--an all Simcoe APA. It will be about a 1:1 ratio of malt to hops, so it will be really nice. The whole leaf hops smelled like something straight out of the beer gods' garden. They are my new favorite hop. :rockin: And what is better is that sap left them in my free-zah! :D

The extract batch was weird. We totally FUBAR'ed the OG. I don't know if we were too drunk or just had too much talking going on, but it came out with 6 gallons + and we were 2 points low on the OG. Oh well, it will be beer.

All in all, what a great day. I wish it had been a weekend so we could have hung out and drank more, but I'm sure we will have many more of those days this summer.

I'm waiting for the upload of pics--few may they be. SwAMi?

Here's the double sparge. Note the slight modifications to Dude's rig (on the left side) to accomodate my HLT/MLT. It was tricky, but we got 'er done:

triplebrewday001.jpg

I left Dude in the pic for perspective.....my HLT was way up high.

Next is poor Dude trying to unstick his mash :( :

triplebrewday002.jpg

And finally, the extract batch. It was late, and Dude and I had been out there fo a long time. That's XtReMXJ on the left (owner of the extract batch), Dude, and Todd. Is it me, or is Dude looking bit chubby?

triplebrewday003.jpg

What a beautiful day to brew. I'm sunburned as hell, and about half in the bag. It was fun!

Looks Like a great day guys! :mug: And good to see Dude breaking out a quality Sta-Puft marshmellow man impersonation! ;)

Here's to good brews! :mug:

Ize

LOL...I am such a damn dork.

That was a really fun day. Wasn't the smoothest brew session we've had, but it was mainly my stupidity. Funny how one little hose clamp mistake could make that wort wizard work like poopoo. Oh well, thanks to gravity, we got our wort chilled pretty well. :tank:

I don't know about Sam's APA, but the Rye is bubbling away right now. I was kind of worried that beast Pliny beer would have stressed out the yeast too much, but I guess not.

The brewery looks like a bomb went off in there though. I have a ton of cleaning to do today. :(

So SwAMi...what is the status on the brews? Good fermentations? Usually when I pitch 2 packets of safale I get pretty good activity, especially the next day. What about the watery irish stout? Honestly I didn't have big expectations for that Nottingham (age) --did it end up fermenting?

The rye is pretty much down to minimal activity now. Can't wait to give it a sample, because despite the nightmare sparge, we still got 85% efficiency.

LOL....I need ot buy some kegs this week. I'm running low on space to store beer, and I have A LOT more planned for this month and next month. :rockin:

Looks great Dude... now with the thread concerning pumps, I'm sure you can tell us all of your wisdom of getting water up that damm ladder :D

I think we can have one hell of a BBQ Party for when Sam and I leave Va, with all the beer, I plan on making another Oatmeal Cream porter since I noted on the day Sam had gotten back that we floated that keg.. The neighbor even got a chance to try it and he loved it, and hes a Coors in a can type of guy.. I havent decided what else to brew but Im wanting to do a Rasberry beer clone as to what I tasted from the Muncie Emporium when I was back in Indiana 2 months ago on leave

Back