5 gallon water bottles too rough inside ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illnastyimpreza

Reaction score
so I went to a couple places yesterday to look for some 5 gallon water bottles to ferment in. Well they ALL had this damn "rough" area around various parts of the bottle in order to aid in handling the bottle. Do you guys know what I'm talkin about here ?

well my question is, are these bottles JUNK because of the rough areas? I'm thinking it would be an area germs and other nasties could hide. Yes ? Or am I being paranoid. should I buy one ??

If not... where could I get a good 5 gallon water bottle that is SMOOOOTH ??

Check out the FAQs section here. It turns out the 5 gallon water bottle thing comes up all the time, so there are existing threads that should have all the info you'll need on the subject.

so I went to a couple places yesterday to look for some 5 gallon water bottles to ferment in. Well they ALL had this damn "rough" area around various parts of the bottle in order to aid in handling the bottle. Do you guys know what I'm talkin about here ?

well my question is, are these bottles JUNK because of the rough areas? I'm thinking it would be an area germs and other nasties could hide. Yes ? Or am I being paranoid. should I buy one ??

If not... where could I get a good 5 gallon water bottle that is SMOOOOTH ??

To aid in handling? If its on the outside it wouldn't mean a rats a$$ to the beer inside. I would be more concerned about the type of plastic used look for #1 or#2 . I have several 4 gallon water bottles that are #1 not big enough for my beers but great for Apfelwein

Back