Interrupted Boil - ran out of propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairyDogBrewing

Reaction score
My propane ran out about 5 minutes after I added the bittering hops.
So the wort was hot, but not boiling for an extra 30 minutes.
I reset my timer to 1 hour after it reached boil again.
Will there be any noticeable effects?
Tinseth and Rager return the same IBU's for a 90 min boil.

Recipe:
Batch size 5.5 gal
Boil volume 6.5 gal
BG 1.042
OG 1.050
6# Whole Wheat malt
4# German Pilsner malt
single decocation mash

1 oz MtHood 4.2% 60 Min
1 oz MtHood 4.2% 10 Min
20 IBU

1 qt starter of WLP300

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would guess that you'll probably be fine. Afterall, the bittering hops that you added technically only boiled for about 5 minutes.

Go your yourself a spare tank, son!

The extra time below boil is kind of like first wort hopping, so not a bad thing unless you were not wanting anything too hoppy.

+1 on the spare tank though.

Interrupted boil, premature hop utilization, pulling your pot off early.... Bummer man.

A spare tank is a must if starting a brew on a light one.

The extra time below boil is kind of like first wort hopping, so not a bad thing unless you were not wanting anything too hoppy.

+1 on the spare tank though.

Thanks Brian.
I think that's one for "Could be hoppier".

I was weighing my tank before and after each use.
But the tare stamp was unreadable, so I didn't know where "0" was.
The new tank shows a tare of 17.9.
I'll borrow Dad's tank when I get down to 20.

i found a pretty neat valve that you can attach between the tank and burner that shows the amount of gas left in tank. It is reminescent of a gas tank meter. found it at target, if that helps. it at least provides peace of mind seeing as i can tell when it is getting low!

brandon

The difference in utilization for 90 minutes vs 60 minutes would mean 10% higher IBU. In this case, 22 vs 20. Undetectable.

i found a pretty neat valve that you can attach between the tank and burner that shows the amount of gas left in tank. It is reminescent of a gas tank meter. found it at target, if that helps. it at least provides peace of mind seeing as i can tell when it is getting low!

brandon

My stepfather bought me one of these at target while picking one up for himself. I put it on during my first use with my propane burner and It seemed like I could not get any flow through.Very light flame. As soon as I took it out of line I had full flame.

welcome to the club i had it happen to me once. i had to cover everything up and run to the store to buy a spare tank. the time shouldnt be a problem just a slight longer boil and maybe some darker wort due to caramelzation. hey if anything you leaned something for next time:mug:

Back