Broken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
Went to the beer fridge/kegerator/lagerator last night and there was warm beer in there. Not to worried about Warm beer, but I had a Bohemian Pilsner lagering (Well not now) in there for the last 3 weeks. It has only been warm (69deg) in there for two days. I say that because I had a beer on Saturday night. I called service and they are coming out tonight to take a look at it.

So the question is:
What will this do to the Pilsner that I have had lagering?
Will it impart any off flavors or will this be good for the beer.
When it (Freezer) is fixed, should I slowly bring it down to lagering temps again or just drop the temp back down?

I did a diacetyl rest at the end of the primary fermentation for 48hrs, then slowly brought it down to 38deg for lagering and then transfered out of the Primary.

I also noticed my Yeast bank's lids were swollen. Should I release the CO2 out of the jars?

Thanks for the insight!

I think if the primary fermentation was done and you've already done the D rest, your lager is going to be fine. I don't think it'll necessarily be good for the beer, but it won't be BAD for it at this stage. Just get it cold again as soon as you can, and it'll be OK. I say you should just bring the temp back down to normal levels and just crash cool it.

And for the love of bob, vent those yeast jars! Last thing you need is yeast bukkake from exploding jars all over the inside of the beer fridge.

So the Repairman showed up last night and fixed the Kegerator. It blew a circuit breaker, he said I needed to change the differential on the Electronic Refrigerator Thermostat to something that would allow the compressor to equalize before it came back on. If the compressor turns on before the pressure is equalized it puts an undue strain on the compressor making it work harder to get started. I originally had it set for 2deg, so I changed it to 4 deg. We talked about my antique cars and my HB, explained the HB process as best I could. I gave him some HB to take with him and try. The nice thing is, he charged me the minimum fee of $59 and no charge ($179) the Circuit Breaker. :)

My Pils is back down to 35deg the morning and so are my kegs. The temp in the fridge never got above 70 deg so everything should be fine, I hope.

I also sprayed down the yeast bank with StarSan and then vented the jars. :tank:

Thanks

Back