[Feeler] Any Interest in Digital Tap Lists?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know if you want me to work on the css image changes for the percentages. Or if there is anything else you want me to work on.

At work, we use Jira as a project/story management tool, so we can make tasks and assign them to people. That might be something worth looking into. A free version of course.

Let me know if you want me to work on the css image changes for the percentages. Or if there is anything else you want me to work on.

At work, we use Jira as a project/story management tool, so we can make tasks and assign them to people. That might be something worth looking into. A free version of course.

Go for it. I'll upload the source images in a few minutes.

Just looked at JIRA. Free for Open Source projects, but can't tell if our Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License would count.

Stumbled upon this article of a design firm using Github's Issues functionality as a method of Task Management.

http://www.smashingboxes.com/using-github-issues-to-manage-projects/

On a large scale, I can see issue here. How would a project manager formally task a developer? How do you set suspense dates? Where is the Exchange integration hook?

Fortunately, none of these problems plague a small project such as this. I'll be essentially using it as a To-Do list. If you want a task, just ask for that task to be assigned to you.

This should prevent two contributors from solving the same issue two different ways at the same time.

Stumbled upon this article of a design firm using Github's Issues functionality as a method of Task Management.

http://www.smashingboxes.com/using-github-issues-to-manage-projects/

On a large scale, I can see issue here. How would a project manager formally task a developer? How do you set suspense dates? Where is the Exchange integration hook?

Fortunately, none of these problems plague a small project such as this. I'll be essentially using it as a To-Do list. If you want a task, just ask for that task to be assigned to you.

This should prevent two contributors from solving the same issue two different ways at the same time.

Here's the typical process:

1. get assigned a task (or volunteer in this case)
2. branch master and clone locally
3. develop
4. check in code
5. push to local branch
6. create a pull request to merge back to master
7. the approver(s) need to review the code and approve or deny the pull request

Giving everyone access to master is normally a bad idea. That's how code gets overwritten and lost. It also gives up a lot of control over what ends up being released.

in other news, I checked the mail today and found that my flow meters are already here! Shipping was really, REALLY fast!

Here's the typical process:

1. get assigned a task (or volunteer in this case)
2. branch master and clone locally
3. develop
4. check in code
5. push to local branch
6. create a pull request to merge back to master
7. the approver(s) need to review the code and approve or deny the pull request

Giving everyone access to master is normally a bad idea. That's how code gets overwritten and lost. It also gives up a lot of control over what ends up being released.

in other news, I checked the mail today and found that my flow meters are already here! Shipping was really, REALLY fast!

This is what I'm envisioning.

Gotta figure out how to revoke write access to master branch and we're set (I think).

Best way for version control systems. Create 3 same branches to start with (test, qa, production) give everyone access to test, they work on their own copy of test, make changes, then they can commit to qa branch. Then "you" as master admin can verify their qa commit changes and merge them to production branch if a go. Then to make sure everyone is current with latest code they have to check if they are up to date.

This is probably overkill but maybe it can help down the road.

Was looking at your code tonight, finally found some time...

Was curious to know how is this project different than this one?

Is it just the flow meter option?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3841

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388984712.079836.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388984728.017189.jpg

For anybody on the fence...

If you're worried about changing your mind, being unable to complete the project, or scared you might not have the skills, fear not*. Worst case, you can always re-image the Raspberry Pi to RaspBMC (XBMC port) in a matter of minutes. This is a fully fledged media center that turns your TV into a Smart TV with digital media playback, library functionality and sharing.

http://xbmc.org/about/
http://www.raspbmc.com/about/

raspbmc.jpg

XBMC_home.jpg

XBMC-Media-Center-3.png

Xbmc_remote_win8_home_moviedetails.png

Already have two for that if anyone is interested in setting up an awesome media center pc let me know.

Looking forward to this. Will the level readings just be defaulted to a 5 gallon keg? If so it should be pretty easy to go in and change the current reading to reflect a different size keg,correct? My only other concern is landscape vs. portrait displays, as I will be utilizing an input on a display already being used for tv/streaming/pc display. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Was looking at your code tonight, finally found some time...

Was curious to know how is this project different than this one?

Is it just the flow meter option?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3841

View attachment 170503

View attachment 170504

That one is the base for this project, and the reason this project inherits its licensing. If you look at the README on Github, I link to his repository for attribution.

The majority of the code had to be re-written. Only limited portions are still is place. Download his source and browse through it a bit to see what I mean.

The two main problems are that he hard-coded everything for his exact setup and that he included exactly zero setup/configuration instructions. Those two are effectively barriers the average HBT user.

Limitations removed:

- Limited to 4 hop levels (0/1/2/3 "hops")
- Limited to 9 SRM colors (0/5/10/15/20/25/30/35/40)
- Limited to 6 keg levels (0/10/25/50/75/100)
- Layout was hard coded using a ton of manual padding/margin hacks.
- Hard coded for 6 beers. Not 3, not 4, not 5, not 7. Only exactly 6. [Thanks, JayUnt!]
Note: I don't believe he included the "Coming Soon" image shown in his source release. Also, you have to enter one of the number above into the Beers list, or the whole thing breaks.

New features:

- Added brewery logo
- Automatically scales length to number of beers in the database [Thanks, JayUnt!]
- Added SRM numerical output
- Added IBU numerical output
- Added BU:GU numerical output [automatically calculated]
- Added kCal numerical output
- Added tasting notes output

Planned features (before first public release):

- Database converted from CSV to SQL.
- Infographics automatically "generate" browser-side.
- Detailed step-by-step installation and configuration instructions (with pictures!).
- Tap number column

Planned features (after first public release):

- Ability to turn on/off displaying of specific columns
- Automatic column sizing to fit display
- Live keg levels (flow meters)
- Additional layouts (landscape, landscape w/ 2 columns)
- Skins included

Possible features (undecided):
- Flow control solenoids to turn a tap on/off
- Support for drinker accounts with RFID cards/reader
- Pour / account statistics

Looking forward to this. Will the level readings just be defaulted to a 5 gallon keg? If so it should be pretty easy to go in and change the current reading to reflect a different size keg,correct? My only other concern is landscape vs. portrait displays, as I will be utilizing an input on a display already being used for tv/streaming/pc display. Thanks for all of your efforts!

It's already coded with different keg sizes in mind. It is set to 5 gallons by default, but easily changeable. In the configuration section:

Code:
			// Set keezer specifics
			$kegsize = 5;     // (in gallons)
			$avgpour = 12;   // (in fluid ounces)

$avgpour will go away and be replaced by a calibration figure the flow meters, once introduced.

I spoke to layouts in my previous post (see one above this one).

I think a tap number option/column would be useful as well. That way you wouldn't need to label the taps with the beer names also, if you didn't want to.

Progress looking good so far though!

Turning on and off the taps using the flow control solenoids would be awesome. I would def put a vote on that feature for down the road.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

On the subject of using solenoids to control the taps, there was a thread a while back where someone tried to figure out how to have multiple beer options via 1 tap. Using a tablet, select the beer you want, it opens a solenoid, and then you pour from the tap using the handle. Concern on how to prevent a lot of beer-mix in the main pour line was brought up, and as far as I know the OP never really came up with anything 100% successful - I'll have to look for it.

On the subject of using solenoids to control the taps, there was a thread a while back where someone tried to figure out how to have multiple beer options via 1 tap. Using a tablet, select the beer you want, it opens a solenoid, and then you pour from the tap using the handle. Concern on how to prevent a lot of beer-mix in the main pour line was brought up, and as far as I know the OP never really came up with anything 100% successful - I'll have to look for it.

Please do!

Theory here is one keg - one solenoid - one faucet.

Prevents accidental pours when loading kegs, cleaning, from children, and from cats.

Or at least thats the idea anyway.

This is amazing, thanks for the hard work you have put into this. Definitely subscribed for future reference and building...

Please do!

Theory here is one keg - one solenoid - one faucet.

Prevents accidental pours when loading kegs, cleaning, from children, and from cats.

Or at least thats the idea anyway.

So what's the advantage of the solenoid? If you've got 1 tap per keg, then you're just adding in an extra valve with the solenoid, right? Even if I click the "pour beer" button or whatever on the screen, assuming it's a touch screen or somehow interactive... I still have to pull on the right tap handle. Why the extra step? Or am I missing something?

The advantage of one tap, multiple kegs, is that you have a very clean user interface, much like those new Coke beverage stations - you select what you want, whatever you want, and it all comes out of one faucet like magic!

Here's the link - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/four-kegs-one-tap-406817/

My suggestion in that post, and I think it would work if you opted to go the single tap route, is to have a CO2 line run to just before the tap with its own solenoid. When you're done with your pour, it back-purges the shared line to clear any beer, forcing whatever's left back into the keg via the manifold. Then the line is clear and empty ready for the next selection. Obviously this is a bit :off: because it's way in the future of concept, so never mind me.

-Kevin

I like this project a lot.

I setup a server for the kegbot, but that requires a server, plus the arduino controller (mega if you want more than two taps) and was a pain in the ass to setup.

I know they have stuff built for both the solenoids to control access and the flow meters.

So what's the advantage of the solenoid? If you've got 1 tap per keg, then you're just adding in an extra valve with the solenoid, right? Even if I click the "pour beer" button or whatever on the screen, assuming it's a touch screen or somehow interactive... I still have to pull on the right tap handle. Why the extra step? Or am I missing something?

The advantage of one tap, multiple kegs, is that you have a very clean user interface, much like those new Coke beverage stations - you select what you want, whatever you want, and it all comes out of one faucet like magic!

Here's the link - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/four-kegs-one-tap-406817/

My suggestion in that post, and I think it would work if you opted to go the single tap route, is to have a CO2 line run to just before the tap with its own solenoid. When you're done with your pour, it back-purges the shared line to clear any beer, forcing whatever's left back into the keg via the manifold. Then the line is clear and empty ready for the next selection. Obviously this is a bit :off: because it's way in the future of concept, so never mind me.

-Kevin

The idea of the solenoid is that it can limit who has access to the beer.

Following this with big interest.:rockin:
I'm from across the pond and started to put the hardware in my wishlist :D
Tx for all your hard work :mug:

The idea of the solenoid is that it can limit who has access to the beer.

Also, to prevent accidental activation. I often initiate pours directly onto my floor mat when loading kegs. I've read several posts about children or cats emptying several gallons or even a full keg right onto the floor.

If implemented, it would be an entirely optional functionality. My vision is to swipe an RFID card or dongle across the reader, which tells the Pi to open the solenoid.

Following this with big interest.:rockin:
I'm from across the pond and started to put the hardware in my wishlist :D
Tx for all your hard work :mug:

Well, both Pis and Arduinos are based in your neck of the woods, so you're probably getting a better price than us.

my pi should be here today, so I can start contributing.

I came across this site that shows the flow meters integrated into a raspberry pi: http://www.kegnetwork.com/index.xhtml

The daughterboard looks pretty simple.

That daughterboard is something they built themselves. Notice it only provides 3 outputs.

For less cost, we could build a 16-port extender/conditioner (kit: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/mcp23017-port-expander-board). Looks like one would even fit in the stock case size (image: http://nathan.chantrell.net/20120602/raspberry-pi-io-expander-board/).

For a few bucks more, could easily build a 32-port. That's enough for 10 flow meters, plus as many solenoids as you'd like. Or individual keg temp probes. Or an ambient air temp probe. Or an RFID reader. Or many other things.

I forked the github project and uploaded my finished files for adding the tap number column. Let me know what you think. I am also now working on convertign it from a flat csv file into a MySQL DB./

Just commented on the Issue for your fork.

There are now two contributors interested in the CSV -> SQL conversion. Please coordinate with the other individual once they get heir account stuff figured out.

my pi should be here today, so I can start contributing.

I came across this site that shows the flow meters integrated into a raspberry pi: http://www.kegnetwork.com/index.xhtml

The daughterboard looks pretty simple.

Daughterboard was only for 2 taps and a temp sensor. HOWEVER, that would be a great addition...having the ability to see the temp where the date is. Just a thought.

:ban:

I wouldn't imagine that would be too much trouble. Just a matter of displaying the output from a temp gauge fed into the Pi.

But that depends on which direction thadius wands to take this project.

temp.jpg

Ooo ooh build in temp control! :). Couple ssr's, thermocouple input, voila! I love this, guys! Right up my alley, even the original idea of just a display board. It's in my brew que fir after my fermenters are completed....

Daughterboard was only for 2 taps and a temp sensor. HOWEVER, that would be a great addition...having the ability to see the temp where the date is. Just a thought.

:ban:

Wasn't really saying we'd use that daughterboard. I know it is only 2 taps (and I have 6). I was just pointing out how simple it was to wire the flow meters into the pi.

A temp probe isn't a bad idea, either. Can we add that to the "maybe" list?

I like the temp probe idea. We can track the temperature and then have a chart to show the flux in temperature.

Keeping track of when each tap is used would also be cool. Maybe from the tap row we could have a modal popup with more details about that tap. It can then show the history of that tap, when it was used and if we use rfid to know who used it.

Back