Sunday brewing... no yeast! @#$%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Tarp

Reaction score
soooo.. firmly asserting my self on the noob list I got a nice batch of porter going today.. and at the end of the boil I realized that the shop forgot to give me yeast. :tank: Was a lot of ppl in there so for what ever reason they forgot and I should have asked but whatever. lol. Ive read a few threads here about either not pitching the yeast right away or the yeast not working and pitching more.. so Im hoping Im ok till tuesday when I can get to the place and grab some yeast. (not open mondays) I put the wort in the primary, put on the lid and the lock and crossed my fingers. Think it should be ok?

Tuesday? You may need to pasteurize the wort Tuesday. I have never tried campden in wort I wonder if you can use that?

I seldom pitch my yeast the same day I brew. I usually throw it into the carboy and let it sit til the next day with either an airlock or saran wrap over it of course. I would think you'd be OK.

Where do you live? Someone near by might be nice enough to give you some yeast. If you live near Atlanta I have WLP001, 002 and US-05.

Next time you're at the shop - pick up an extra packet of dry yeast and keep it in the fridge. That way, you have a backup

Keep it as cold as you can, then let warm up before pitching. It's always a good idea to have a packet or two of dried yeast around. In the fridge, it's good for two years.

Back