Sour saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzy

Reaction score
I planned to made a saison, but it came out as a sour. I used the T-58 safebrew. I love the taste. I'm definitely happy with it, but was surprised of the sourness. It aged 2 weeks in primary and about 3 weeks in secondary.

Is this normal of the t-58? I read about it ring a bit more peppery?

I planned to made a saison, but it came out as a sour. I used the T-58 safebrew. I love the taste. I'm definitely happy with it, but was surprised of the sourness. It aged 2 weeks in primary and about 3 weeks in secondary.

Is this normal of the t-58? I read about it ring a bit more peppery?

I get that flavor too. I made a saison as did a buddy of mine. They were both proper crap. But I'm glad you liked it. I hated it.

T-58 is not a saison yeast. If you need to use a dry yeast you will have much better results with danstar belle saison. Anyway it shouldn't be very sour. A slight sourness is acceptable, it's usually accentuated by the dryness and higher carbonation levels present in a saison. What was the recipe? Did you use any acid malt? That can have a sourness if used in excess.

JRems said:
T-58 is not a saison yeast. If you need to use a dry yeast you will have much better results with danstar belle saison. Anyway it shouldn't be very sour. A slight sourness is acceptable, it's usually accentuated by the dryness and higher carbonation levels present in a saison. What was the recipe? Did you use any acid malt? That can have a sourness if used in excess.

I used 6.6 pounds of Pilsner LME. I used 2 oz of kent golding hops. I was surprised by the sourness. I didn't read of this yeast causing a sourness.

You might have caught an infection. Sour saisons are very popular right now. I'm fermenting a sour mashed saison with berry juice at the moment. If it tastes good, then just go with it.

Back