Keggle conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatenbread

Reaction score
I acquired 3 kegs today and have managed to open one with a bit of difficulty. It was an interesting experience having 4 year old harp lager blasted into my face at high pressure. It did not taste too great I can tell you. Next step is giving it a good clean and polish :-D

I lucked into a dozen of kegs myself recently and am doing the same thing. The first three or four were fun, but now it's just manual labor. :)

I use a keg tap to depressurize before I cut, and I've made a jig for my grinder to try to make a nice clean circle.

It helped me to know that you don't need the Greenlee Knock-out punch sets that some people use. My cheapo harbor freight step bit has been making nice clean holes for me at a fraction of the cost.

I hope to make an eKeggle for BIAB in the first instance. Guinness kegs are tough to open but a hammer and chisel with lots of cursing seems to work. Polishing it up before I get it cut open. I need an angle grinder but I may speak nicely to a guy nearby who may have a plasma cutter. Need a step drill bit too. The wish list keeps getting longer in this game

Anyone know the best (cheapest) way to cut holes in a keg to fit kettle elements. How do you work out hole size needed???

It was an interesting experience having 4 year old harp lager blasted into my face at high pressure. It did not taste too great I can tell you. Next step is giving it a good clean and polish :-D

If you absolutely have to do it pressurized, drill a 1/16"-1/8" hole with a cordless drill. Then get out the angle grinder.

They are depressurised. Stale beer smell reminds me of being a student and working in a bar. Cleaning out the slop trays at night smells just like that.

Anyone know the best (cheapest) way to cut holes in a keg to fit kettle elements. How do you work out hole size needed???

Check out bargainfittings or brewhardware.com. Both have instructions (I believe) and step bits necessary for the holes.

A large step-bit and keep the cutting oil on it. The hole needs to be 1.25" for a 1" diameter element, but check BargainFittings site under the element nut/o-ring section there. I have 4 of his kits and none leak a drop, hand-tightened.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately being in Ireland makes those too companies a bust but the advice on the website is great. Very easy to follow. Getting a step drill bit today and hope to have the keggle built on Saturday.

I am curious as to how people manage to get sprayed with stale beer? I have cut the tops off of 4 kegs while pressurized with no problems. Doesnt the beer have to come up the stem to shoot out? Every time I have cut one I just pause once the grinder gets through the first part and let the co2 leak out.

If you use a screwdriver to depressurise before cutting the beer comes up the pipe with force. I was advised not to cut before letting the CO2 out. Stale beer ain't that bad anyhow :)

Angle grinding done. Wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Just a bit of filing to do and waiting on my ball valve and step drill bit coming.

Ball valve inserted and water tight. Next stop drilling for the kettle elements.

Latest posts

Back