adding aquarium controller to freezer - where to route thermistor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimpanogosSlim

Reaction score
I'm done wiring and have control of my 5cf reach-in freezer, a ConAgra SC-142. It has a Samsung compressor in it, but i can't find any technical diagrams other than the schematic on the back.

When it's on, the condensation and frost only collects on the top 15 inches or so of the interior walls.

What are the chances that i can drill a small hole in the side of the 'hump' so i can push the thermistor through the wall right there?

The original thermostat sensor (gas type) was really small gauge and pushed through a little tube that is way too small for the thermistor that came with the controller - plus I'd like the option of strapping the thermistor to the wall of a keg or carboy.

TimpanogosSlim,
sorry for hijacking your post..
but I've acquired an ConAgra SC-142. and i'm new to kegging, but i was thinking of trying to turn it into a small Keezer, if i put a 14" collar on it i can fit 3 corny's in it, but i'm not really a handy man.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!:mug:

TimpanogosSlim,
sorry for hijacking your post..
but I've acquired an ConAgra SC-142. and i'm new to kegging, but i was thinking of trying to turn it into a small Keezer, if i put a 14" collar on it i can fit 3 corny's in it, but i'm not really a handy man.. any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!:mug:

Right there with you! That is my ultimate plan for the thing.

I've made a few attempts at figuring out how to remove the top trim around the sliding lid, but nothing has made itself obvious.

Once that is off, i was thinking about using liquid nails or plpremium to glue wood paneling to the front and sides (with a hinged, vented door over the compressor) and then lining what rises above the top of the existing frame with rigid foam insulation. maybe 2". And then I'd have to make a lid. I'm leaning toward a coffin keezer type lid. maybe tiled, with a built in drip tray, and the taps coming out of a box on top of that.

I figure if i use 1/2" plywood on the sides and make it extend 2" past the back of the freezer, i can attach a length of 2x8 between the sides for the lid to hinge on.

But it's not like i have sketches or anything.

fwiw i ended up putting a longer lead on my thermistor and routing it through the drain hole.

Drain hole is probably the safest bet. I'm in the middle of converting a freezer, and the interior of mine was just lined with foil, so I was able to carefully (and lightly) cut the foil and insulation away until I got to the outer shell, then I drilled through the shell only....

TimpanogosSlim, I have recently come across one of these cooler/freezers. I was wondering if you made any more progress on this? I am looking to do as you described above but, you said that you added a controller to it. Is that necessary? There is the thermostat on the unit, will that not control it enough to use this with out a controller? Also, If you have gone further with creating a lid for it could you post some pictures?

Back