First attempt at my electric wiring diagram, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaJoe

Reaction score
Ok here is what I've drawn up. If this looks ok I'll add the 2 120v outlets for the pumps next.

firsttry.jpg

What size wire are you running before and after the GFI? I see your terminal blocks say 65A 6AWG but I'm not sure if that's what you're using for wire. If you are using 6 gauge wire you're fine. Depending on your insulation rating (in celcius) of your THHN or similar wire, you can safely run 60A to well over that (90C insulation).

I'm assuming you're running 10AWG after your 6AWG terminal blocks?

Do you plan on running both elements at the same time? What wattage elements? 240V I'm assuming.

What size wire are you running before and after the GFI? I see your terminal blocks say 65A 6AWG but I'm not sure if that's what you're using for wire. If you are using 6 gauge wire you're fine. Depending on your insulation rating (in celcius) of your THHN or similar wire, you can safely run 60A to well over that (90C insulation).

I'm assuming you're running 10AWG after your 6AWG terminal blocks?

Do you plan on running both elements at the same time? What wattage elements? 240V I'm assuming.

I will be running 6/3 from the main panel to the 50a spa sub panel. I will be running 6/3 from the GFI breaker to the control panel and that connects to the 65A 6AWG terminal blocks.

I was planning on running 10AWG from the terminal blocks to the 2 pole 30a 240v breakers and 14AWG to the 1 pole 15a 120v breakers.

I am planning on running both elements at the same time for back to back batches. I was planning on 4500watt 240v elements, but was hoping that I could squeeze by with a 5500 watt & a 4500 watt or even 2 5500 watt's (drawing 46A).

P-J's correct, the way it's drawn doesn't show the control voltage, but I just assumed it was a high voltage drawing. Each March 809HS runs about .25A at 115VAC. So even with two pumps and two 5500 elements running at 240V (23 amps), you shouldn't trip your 50A GFI. I would recommend buying your 6/3 wire with good insulation, such as the 90C (194F). Example Link

Here's

firsttry.jpg

I should have explained it better, that this was just the high voltage diagram and wouldn't include 3pos switchs, relays, the brewtroller, electric valves.

That 6/3 that you recommended, is that for the 50ft main panel to sub panel run as well?
Ie. all the 6/3 wiring should be 6AWG with that good insulation?

Ya although it's not necessary. It's just something I would want for 240V. I've never priced the cheaper insulation so I'm not sure of the price difference.

Do I need to use 65a terminal blocks for Hot1 & Hot2? Do I need to use 6AWG from the terminal blocks to the 30a breakers?

Do I need to use 65a terminal blocks for Hot1 & Hot2? Do I need to use 6AWG from the terminal blocks to the 30a breakers?

You should get the 65A or similar (anywhere from 50A to 65A) terminal blocks because they'll have large enough ports for the 6 gauge wire to fit. From the blocks to the element circuit breakers can be 10 gauge, because you're splitting the circuit between the 2 elements, which will draw around 24 amps at most. Remember the circuit breakers are only protecting the wire.

The circuit breakers you asked about on ebay are rated for European standards (230V 50Hz). They appear to be DIN rail mount but I don't see what size DIN rail. They may work but since you'd be waiting on them from China and have little chance of returning them without hassle I'd probably look for something made for US power, such as these.

Breakers from Automation Direct.

WMZS1B15 SUPPLEMENTARY PROTECTOR 1 POLE 15A B CURVE $8.5
WMZS2B10 SUPPLEMENTARY PROTECTOR 2 POLE 10A B CURVE $17
WMZS2B25 SUPPLEMENTARY PROTECTOR 2 POLE 25A B CURVE $17

Terminal Blocks from Mouser:
845-CDB6/2 $8.39

Back