Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
Well 2 1/2 years under my belt, this is my butternut squash pumkin spice beer.

its been in the primary for 4 weeks and has been fine. i boiled a tsp of all spice in a cup of water for 10 minutes, cooled and added to beer. a few days later, today i get this......

white bubbles and a white film, sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

it must have gotten in there when i put the all spice in?

is the kind of infection i can still keg and rack from underneath? i haven't tasted it yet but smells like beer.

20111013202103.jpg

i had a little chunks of white film on a xmas stout i bottled today. didn't sweat it, tasted great. if it smells good and tastes good, it's good.

Sour taste is a pretty strong sign of a lactobacillus infection. I'd wait, bottle this, put it somewhere for a year, and then start to try it. Sometimes an "infected" beer can turn into an unintentional, awesome sour beer, given enough time.

how long shold i wait to bottle it?

do i need to worry about bottle bombs? do i use the same amount of sugar i would normally use for priming without infection?

the fg was 1.018 before the infection occured when i added the spice, should i keep checking the fg?

also what should i do about my fermentor and anything else that comes incontact with the infected beer when i bottle it. is starsan good enough to use afterwards, or do i need something stronger like bleach?

the first picture i posted was about a week after adding the spice, this one is 2 weeks and its changed alot.....i haven't tasted the beer now.

i was thinking of racking to a secondary and forgetting about the beer for a long time, i don't feel like bottling it, frankly i keg and don't bother with bottles. if i rack to secondary, wait along time, and keg this, will my equipment be containminated, or will a soak in starsan be all i need?

20111023122234.jpg

I have never had an infection, but that being said, "No star san will not be enough." Star san is not a cleaner its a sanitizer. You need to clean it. I would use bleach, but I think and someone can correct me if i'm wrong you can use pbw or oxiclean too.

my cleaning/sanatizing meathod is soak in hot oxiclean water, overnight, then starsan overnight, i know starsan only takes minutes but the oxiclean leaves a residue the starsan gets rid of.

will that be good enough, anyone that knows? this is my first infection so im not sure.

Back