Quick Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

insignia797

Reaction score
I bought a 32 oz. bag of active dry yeast from Red Star. Will that stuff work??? It says add 1 cup of warm water to 1 cup of the yeast. So im planning on doing that for a five gallon mash. Does that all sound good??? If it does; the yeast is a really thick paste after adding the water to it. How would I add that to the water??? Will it dissolve???

1 cup to 1 cup ratio of water to yeast sounds insanely high to me! You couldn't get your hands on some brewers yeast? And you don't add yeast to the mash.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed your age. That explains a lot about your posts

Seriously? How did it even allow you to sign up if your 18?

Get out of here, junior.

Reno_eNVy said:
Seriously? How did it even allow you to sign up if your 18?

18 is considered the legal drinking age in many places. Not Illinois, though.

@insignia

Also, according to your profile, you are 18. I imagine they calculate based on the birthdate you enter at registration. Perhaps you mistyped? For your yeast ratios, what instructions are you looking at? Red Star, being a bread yeast, would probably package with instructions with that purpose in mind. Depending on your brew size, your amount of brewers yeast would be on the order of grams rather than a full cup. Also, some idea of your recipe would help guide the responses you'll get. Assuming you are following recipe, what yeast does this recipe call far? I can't imagined it called for Red Star yeast.

Then again, this could be a troll thread and all this discussion and advice is moot. Your call, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back