starter size for slurry re-pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
Using the Mr Malty calculator, it tells me I need 180 mL of slurry for my beer. Am I correct in thinking it is a good idea to get it active using a small starter? I harvested it about 2 weeks ago.

I plan to make up some 1.035 wort and toss my 180 mL of slurry into that for about 12 hours prior to pitching into the new wort. What volume of starter wort should I make?

It never hurts to have more yeast than you think you will need. For volume, I would go about 1/2 gallon or so.

It never hurts to have more yeast than you think you will need.

Sure it does. Too much yeast and you don't get optimum reproduction. Result is 1) loss of yeast flavor, since the yeast create a lot of them during the reproduction phase, and 2) Since you haven't had much reproduction, the old yeast have to work for longer, and might stall out before the ferment is finished.

For the OP: pitch straight, or make a small starter. You won't build up the yeast too much. I generally pitch straight if it is within a month.

Back