Walker's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to buy the ingredients for my next brew- I've heard that Walker's IPA is good. I'm not a big fan of Chinook, though- could I use Cascade or Northern Brewer for the bittering?

Here's the recipe:
Walker's Kaduva IPA
1.5 lb American Crystal 10°L
8 lbs Briess Extra Light DME

Hops
(see note below about this hop schedule)
0.75 oz Chinook (12.8%) @ 60 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 30 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 25 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 20 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 15 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 10 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ 5 minutes
0.28 oz Cascade (5.8%) @ flame-out
0.28 oz Norther Brewer (7%) @ flame-out
1.00 oz Cascade - dry hop for 10 days prior to bottling.
Note: for the flavor/aroma hop additions, I take 2 oz of Cascades and 2 oz of Northern Brewer and mix it all together in a big salad bowl. Then I divide the mixture into 7 equal parts. Starting at 30 minutes, and ever 5 minutes thereafter, I add one of the portions to the boil. The final portion is added at the end of the boil when the heat is finally turned off.

Misc
1 tsp Irish Moss added with 20 minutes left in the boil
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 - American Ale
Priming
1.25 cups DME in cups water. Boiled for 10 minutes.

Otherwise, I should make it as written, right? (Or am I wrong about Chinook, in thinking that they are too harsh for a wimpy girl like me?) Bird was raving about this recipe- so I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Lorena

Blomming heck that looks like a lot of work measuring!

EDIT : Just read the recipe properly and see the good use of a mix in a bowl technique! ...that is read as in red and not read as in reed. damm english language (and several very black coffees!)

I used Cascade, and it came out very good - not as bitter as it should have been, but everyone loved it. I used an ounce of Cascade 'cause that was all I had, if I were to do it again I'd use probably an ounce and half (depending on AA%) for bittering.

Thanks- that's probably what I'll do. I like Cascade, and I'll check the AAUs when I buy.
I'm turning into a hophead in my old age, but I'm afraid to have 5 gallons of something that only I'll like. I'm finding IPAs taste better and better to me- I must be losing some of my sense of taste and/or smell. I drank a 22 ouncer of Stone Ruination last night- wow- great beer. After that, my Dead Guy clone was pretty bland!
Lorena

lorenae said:
I drank a 22 ouncer of Stone Ruination last night- wow- great beer. After that, my Dead Guy clone was pretty bland!
Lorena

THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO HEAR!

Honestly, until four or five months ago, I wasn't into IPAs at all; now, I can't get enough. Ruination (and 10th Anniversary) are two of the best beers I've ever had. I still like some mellower, malty brews - but Ruination is the ****.

Just adjust the first addition of Cascades to match the AAU (about a double). Alternately use Nuggett or Centenial. NB works too.

lorenae said:
but I'm afraid to have 5 gallons of something that only I'll like.
So what is wrong with having 5 gallons of good beer all for yourself?:drunk:

lorenae said:
I'm finding IPAs taste better and better to me- I must be losing some of my sense of taste and/or smell.

Or your taste buds are just being educated to appreciate the subtle nuances of good beer.:)

-a.

I'm going to have to start collecting royaltie or license fees for that IPA recipe. It gets around more than my ex-girlfriend. :D

Walker-san said:
I'm going to have to start collecting royaltie or license fees for that IPA recipe. It gets around more than my ex-girlfriend. :D

It tastes better than she does, too. I think she had an infection. :D

Walker-san said:

I'm finally moving it to secondary today. And my friend had some cascade hops in her freezer, for dryhopping. (I didn't buy enough when I was purchasing hops!)Just had a little sample- it's GOOD!

I will be glad to pay royalties on it. I'll send you some, if you're out!

Lorena

Latest posts

Back