What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Two associate degrees, auto and diesel repair. Those were earned almost 50 years ago, and I haven't made a living turning wrenches for over 40 years.

As a dirt farmer, in the middle of nowhere, with a fleet of vehicles and equipment to maintain, I still spend much of my time turning wrenches. So, in the context of this thread, I'm a technician.

Technicians are the people who make the things designed by engineers actually work. :cool:

Mark

Two associate degrees, auto and diesel repair. Those were earned almost 50 years ago, and I haven't made a living turning wrenches for over 40 years.

As a dirt farmer, in the middle of nowhere, with a fleet of vehicles and equipment to maintain, I still spend much of my time turning wrenches. So, in the context of this thread, I'm a technician.

Technicians are the people who make the things designed by engineers actually work. :cool:

Mark

Love it...

I have this feeling that a large percentage of homebrewers are engineers. I was just wondering how large.

'92 BSME from Mich Tech U.
I am a Mechanical Engineer in the Steel Industry. I love to cook and I enjoy entertaining. I have been making wine for 12 years and just recently made my way to Craft Beer. Travel a lot good past time.

Engineering Technician who maintains Implant systems in the semiconductor industry. Implant technology was developed during the Manhattan Project to seperate uranium 235 and 238. BSEET from DeVry Phoenix 1988.

Last edited:
Undergraduate was B.S. in Biology and Chemistry. Grad school was M.S. in Biomedical Engineering. Currently, a senior scientist in bioinformatics at a major pharmaceutical company developing new gene therapies for cancer treatments.

B.A. in microbiology '81 doing federal law enforcement in USDA. All the brewers I know are mechanical or electrical engineers, but I taught a veterinarian how to brew...

Veterinarian here. The biology/chemistry side of things got me into brewing, the engineering side of things keeps it interesting!

2010 BSIE graduate of WVU. I've 5S'd the **** out of my garage aka brewery!

Non-engineer, but human neuroscientist who is heavily into software programming and instrumentation.

If your defining "Engineer" meaning do I hold a degree, No!

I am a Steamfitter/Welder by trade, that works in the Pharmaceutical/Bio Tech industry.

I specialize in design build systems and applications that I engineer, fabricate and install.

Also, a U.S. Navy SeaBee Veteran, 84-89.

So, since I think you meant the literal interpretation of Degree = Engineer, I voted NON.

Maintenance technician. Or that's what I call myself, at work I'm classified as a mechanic. I could or should have been an engineer, I love building things and figuring things out.

I'm a pig farmer, so a little bit vet tech, little bit electrician, little bit maintenance tech, little diesel tech, little bit HR, lots of stuff but no engineering

I have been friends with several engineers over the years in my homebrew clubs. From my experience, they mostly got into it to put together elaborately wired brewing systems, lol. They talked more about their wiring diagrams and controllers, then the actual beer they were brewing. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

/cheers

I have been friends with several engineers over the years in my homebrew clubs. From my experience, they mostly got into it to put together elaborately wired brewing systems, lol. They talked more about their wiring diagrams and controllers, then the actual beer they were brewing. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

/cheers
Pretty accurate. Whereas geologist are notorious beer drinkers, we care about the brew.

And actually get things done In the field

Not an Engineer-I'm an Underwriter for Management Liability insurance.
buuuut! I'm definitely a DIY-er for my brewing gadgets.

Pretty accurate. Whereas geologist are notorious beer drinkers, we care about the brew.

And actually get things done In the field
Probably true of EEs. I'm ChE so I'm more interested in water chemistry and recipe tweaks. Of course, I was always told that ChEs are the drunks of the engineering department, so that might be a factor.

Mechanical Engineer, but its more of my culinary side that led me to home brew. Im not a chef by any means, but love to experiment in the kitchen.

I have two associate degrees, digital electronics, and telephony. I spent 5 years in the field installing some of the first cellular networks for Nortel. I then moved in house and engineered cell site equipment for a number of years. Did some work in CELEC and building engineering tools for the DMS 250 and 500. Left Nortel, moved around and ended up at Huawei and developed the field engineering department. A Harley wreck retired me in 2011 and here I am. Not a degreed engineer but a lot of engineers asked for my advice.

HVAC here. I design and sell residential heating and air conditioning systems. I started in the industry as a service technician(or mechanic, if you will)
I love to cook, especially with my daughter.
I began brewing, drinking my first batch now, because I enjoy many different beers and wanted to see what I could do. So far so good, second batch will be started this weekend.

Last edited:
Senior Project Engineer for prototype propulsion systems. I'm one of the last few that don't have a degree. Mentorship with intense desire to learn, I read like a fiend.

/cheers

Lol, this would totally be me. I just finished building my first control panel so I could start brewing indoors and I have to say that I really enjoyed designing and building it. I found myself wondering if building the panel was more fun than using it. I haven't actually used it yet because I am in the process of installing ventilation in my brew area but should have my first brew within a week.

Last night as I was going over what I still need to do to have my vent system completed, I came to the conclusion that I should probably rip the guts out of my fan controller so that I can integrate it with my control panel and have the fan speed knob right on the main panel. :D

Btw... software engineer designing and building business software.

Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Masters and Doctorate in Sociology of Science and Engineering Design. Currently an IT Project Manager for the Governments. I run State Projects like I run my Brew Day: Tight, and in control, yet it never goes totally right... a delightful frustration.

Back