Mini-Fridge fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBZSTL

Reaction score
I have read several threads relating to the use of a mini-fridge for fermenting. At this point I am not prepared to construct my own fermentation chamber with the aid of a mini-fridge. However, I would like to utilize a mini-fridge that can be temperature controlled to house a 6 gallon bucket to ferment my brew. From what I can gather one solution is to get a mini-fridge large enough to house a 6 gallon bucket or carboy (any recommendations on size, model, etc?) and use a temperature controller something like one from Johnson Controls (any recommendations on which controller to get?). If I were to do this how do I rig the fridge to maintain a temperature suitable to ferment ales? Any help would be appreciated.

Finding the right size fridge can be tricky. Most of them will give you a problem with either the hump in the back or the freezer section in the top. I added a collar on the front of mine held on with bungie cords. I didn't have to mess up the fridge in any way so I can always convert it back if needed.

If you have any basic wiring skills or know someone who does, I'd go with a love controller, they are by far my favorite.

Here's a few pics:
Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Finding the right size fridge can be tricky. Most of them will give you a problem with either the hump in the back or the freezer section in the top. I added a collar on the front of mine held on with bungie cords. I didn't have to mess up the fridge in any way so I can always convert it back if needed.

If you have any basic wiring skills or know someone who does, I'd go with a love controller, they are by far my favorite.

Here's a few pics:
Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Picasa Web Albums - Nick

Just wanted to say this is brilliant. Definitely stealing this idea for an upcoming weekend project.

My 6 gallon carboy box dimensions: 13" x 13" x 21". Add an airlock to it and it's 25".

I just picked one up that has an interior dimension of 23", so I'll have to use a blowoff as long as it's in there.

Back