A Few Bottles Short......?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeslice

Reaction score
So I have about 4 1/2 gallons of dubbel ready to bottle and about 35 bottles ready. I believe this will still be less than needed to bottle it all but what do you think?

Also, will twisties still hold a seal if capped?

I'd say you're right. You'll probably need at least another 10-12 bottles.

As for twist-offs... Some people have success using a bench capper, but those bottles aren't meant to hold the pressure of capping. If you decide to try, be careful about breaking the bottle. I don't know about wing cappers, but I doubt it would work on a twist-off. Just doesn't seam like it could create enough of a seal with the threads in the way.

Wing cappers and twisties dont mix. Been there done that, with a zero success ratio! lol

I have taken twisties, sanitized, and put the same used cap back on it. It wasnt ideal, but it worked.

For future batches, I'd suck it up and buy a growler, no matter how many bottles you have. Its saved my butt a few times.

Hi Homeslice. I don't know why but your name is making me chuckle this morning.

If you've got a pub you frequent that serves craft and imports (i.e. non-twist offs), go spend an evening and ask if they would collect bottles for you.

In any case, you will probably need a few more bottles. Rule of thumb is two cases for 5 gallons. Cheers!!

I just drink my leftovers from the bottling bucket, or the last partially filled bottle. This way I get an idea of what it tastes like at all stages.

You'll need another 12 bottles or so. Assuming you can get them from somewhere. . . great!

If not, then consider making some chili or stew out of your remaining wort.

For future batches, I'd suck it up and buy a growler, no matter how many bottles you have. Its saved my butt a few times.

I haven't tried because of all the advice not to, but there are a ton of "Growlers aren't meant to withstand the pressure of bottling!" topics out there...

Now, if you could find a few spare swing-top's, that's a whole different story. The best piece of advice I can give, though, is to start drinking...you don't want to run short on bottles.

It's a Dubbel so an extra week or so aging will only improve it. Either go buy some bottles at your LHBS or better yet, go buy 2 sixer's of craft beer and drink. Problem solved!

It's a Dubbel so an extra week or so aging will only improve it. Either go buy some bottles at your LHBS or better yet, go buy 2 sixer's of craft beer and drink. Problem solved!

I think that this is the best option. Green beer can always use some more time to clear up and mature.

2L soda bottles can also handle carbonation, if you need emergency capacity for some reason. Soda water bottles are best, since they won't hold any residual flavor. Use root beer bottles under no circumstances.

Hold off until you have enough bottles. Another week is only going to improve your beer and give you time to collect what you need.

I've had it fermenting in the primary for 2 wks then in the secondary for 2wks. The Second Gravity nearly reached the desired gravity by the transfer to secondary.

I've had it fermenting in the primary for 2 wks then in the secondary for 2wks. The Second Gravity nearly reached the desired gravity by the transfer to secondary.

Rwinzing is right - no reason to hurry. Its a Dubbel, and you could leave it in secondary for another 2 to 4 week and it would get better!

Cheers! :mug:

1 gallon = 128 US fluid ounces
1 bottle = 12 US fluid ounces

(4.5 gallons) * (128 ounces per gallon) / ( 12 ounces per bottles)

=

48 bottles

Assuming you have exactly 4.5 gallons, that's 576 oz, which is 48 12oz bottles.

Edit: oops, should read the whole thread before I post.

For what it's worth, I've capped twisties with my wing capper with no problem. I don't do it regularly, but in a pinch it's worked for me.

I agree, with buying 2 6-packs and waiting a week or 2 to bottle. Unless you have another beer ready to go into secondary, or you only have one fermentation vessel and want to make another.

Time makes beer amazing.

Back