Is Coors Extra Gold still around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
I'm just curious. Several years ago I moved from the US East coast to the west coast. Back east sometimes when cash was tight or if I was stocking a cooler for a camp trip or something I used to get a 30 pack of Coors Extra Gold. The cans meant you could pack a lot in a cooler.

While it wasn't a great beer, it had a good amount more body than their standard beer, and actually had some flavor. I have not seen the product anywhere I've lived on the west coast. I lived in the San Jose area and the Seattle area.

Does anyone know if this product is even still made, and if it is sold out west.?

It is now called "Extra Gold Lager". The Coors name isn't on it anymore and it is not easy to find. So good luck! There are a couple of places that sell it online, but I doubt you'll find it out here much.

Hmmm. So if the coors name isn't onit anymore is it still a Coors product, or did they sell the brand?

So they actually had a beer with some flavor and took their name off it. That is kinda funny. :)

It's not a huge issue for me. I was just curious really. I have far more of a nostalgic feeling of loss for a couple other beers not available out west like Yuengling lager, Yuengling Lord Chesterfiled Ale, and even a Molson product I used to pick up for it's crispness and smoothness from time to time called Molson Export Ale.

I see it at the grocery store every once and a while. In the South East, I'd typically see it at Bi-Lo. They usually stock Busch in the gold can too. No idea about out west.

I haven't seen it in 5 or 6 years. I bought it because it was like $3 a 6-pack. It was a pretty good cheap beer.

Its out here, my roommates are obsessed with it and are trying to source a keg for a party this weekend. Yes, it no longer says Coors anywhere on it, but it is still made by coors.

Its out here, my roommates are obsessed with it and are trying to source a keg for a party this weekend. Yes, it no longer says Coors anywhere on it, but it is still made by coors.

That just seems really odd to me that they would even take their name off of it. What the Heck is Pete Coors thinking. That was like one of the few mass brewed monster brewery beers I actually thought had taste.

Thanx for the info.

Cheers :mug:

It's still around. Coors got bought by Miller, and there were some changes.

We always used to joke that it was Pete himself that peed into the Extra Gold.

Here in Denver, Extra Gold is still in the coolers, usually next to the Miller and Natty Light.

For cheap lawnmower beer, it's pretty good. Extra Gold and PBR are staples of my non-homebrew beer drinking.

jds used to live directly across the street from Coors. Brewing still smells like 'home' to me.

Nice. I lived on 16th and Washington for a while, then moved up to 2nd and Ford (but now am in Arvada because property values in Golden are starting to be like boulder). I loved that smell (and view). The best part was that I had to walk by the brewery on the way home from work. I stopped in at least 4 times a week for the "short tour."

Extra Gold - Darkest day of my life was when they pulled it from California.

Kers. That's how people say Coors in north Texas. Kers. :drunk:

Well in east Texas it is often pronounced Cooo-ers...bit more drawl over there.

In Houston it is generally just Coors... not as much accent in the big city for most.

Back