Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
I just brewed a Witbier, since it will be cloudy by nature is a secondary necessary?

No you really don't NEED a secondary on most beers. It is used for clearing, and aging. So if neither of those are important to you, then you can skip that step. If you do opt to skip the secondary make sure you let it sit long enough in the primary. You don't want to bottle a beer that is not finished.

Personally I've not used a secondary on any beer of mine except my first. Secondary is usually good to get the beer off the old yeast and to aid in clearing, but since switching to 21day minimum primary I've had great results with clarity and no need to secondary.

The BJCP guidelines for Witbier:
Appearance: Very pale straw to very light gold in color. The beer will be very cloudy from starch haze and/or yeast, which gives it a milky, whitish-yellow appearance. Dense, white, moussy head. Head retention should be quite good.
That pretty much tells me I'd want to avoid a secondary altogether. YMMV

secondary depends on the style. for wit, i'd say no secondary, period. maybe 10 days total in primary, and assuming your gravity readings are good, bottle it and wait.

...and the opposition says...:D I secondary my wheat beers for the simple reason it allows more yeast to fall out of suspension. You can always add more yeast from the secondary while racking to the bottling bucket/keg.

Doing this will reduce the amount of sediment in your bottles, but contain enough to make the brew cloudy again while pouring. ;)

The choice is yours...enjoy either way!

Back