Help - My tap is leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smashing

Reaction score
Yup. I bought a used tower and tap, cleaned it really good and put it into service. Everything was great for a couple of days but not I have a leak from the tail piece where it goes in the shank. It looks like there is a washer or seal of some sort and that's where the leak is. This isn't one with a tailpiece that is held on by a lock nut. Not sure how this one is held in place. Is there a repair for this or does the shank need replacing?

For that, I would definitely recommend just replacing the shank assembly.

If you really wanted to, you can still saw it off, and then get an elbow tailpiece if that will fit in the tower.

Before springing for a new shank, I'd pull the faucet off the leaky one, give it another cleaning, then before reassembly, lube up the o-ring on the shank side inside the faucet. Just a dab of anything non-petro-based will work to keep that o-ring from distorting during re-installation.

I've seen more than enough faucets that were installed dry that weren't gas tight, and that were rescued with a film of something slippery. Some of them were my own ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for the thoughts. Not sure if it's just a dryness issue though. The tail piece moves in and out of the shank - leaking more when I play with it of course. It doesn't seem to be removable except by saw.

Thanks for the thoughts. Not sure if it's just a dryness issue though. The tail piece moves in and out of the shank - leaking more when I play with it of course. It doesn't seem to be removable except by saw.

Ugh. Haven't seen that problem yet. Hate to ask but are you sure you engaged the shank teeth with the faucet when you installed it? Off the top of my noggin that's the only thing that makes sense - the faucet isn't engaged properly to begin with and it's riding the high points of the teeth...

Cheers!

Ya lost me. Shank teeth? The elbow in back is loose to the touch but I won't pull out or tighten up. I need a new faucet so I'll prolly just spring for a shank too.

Ya lost me. Shank teeth? The elbow in back is loose to the touch but I won't pull out or tighten up. I need a new faucet so I'll prolly just spring for a shank too.

Ooops - sorry, I misread the entire problem from the jump and thought it was tail end of the faucet wobbling on the shank. Duh - major brain cramp! ;)

Cheers!

Back