Wine Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Fuzz

Reaction score
My Wife and I used to make wine, but she can't drink anymore, so I thought I'd make use of all the equipment and try my hand at beer. I Have cases of wine bottles, and I was wondering if I could use them to bottle beer in? I guess my biggest concern is that the corks would just shoot out of them. Anyone use wine bottles for beer?

Sorry to say, you shouldn't use wine bottles for beer. Two main reasons- one, the corks will shoot out as soon as it's carbonating; second, wine bottles aren't designed to hold pressure and they will explode if the cork doesn't pop out to relieve the pressure.

You can use champagne bottles, since they are designed to hold pressure.

OK, thanks. Sorta suspected that would be the answer. Maybe I can trade my boxes of wine bottles for boxes of beer bottles at the brew store . . .

Unfortunately, everything I've read has suggested that the corks will just shoot out of them. I managed to get all my bottles for free though. Just ask anyone you know that drinks beer from pop top bottles. I guess you do need a capper and some caps, but a hand capper works well for me and isn't too terribly expensive. And caps are way cheaper than corks.

When I was starting out I threw a BYOB party and recommended that my friends bring their favorite Craft Brew. Netted about 100 bottles.

You could try apfelwein and bottle it in your wine bottles? Many people seem to enjoy it without carbonation. Check out the sticky in the wine making part of this forum for a good recipe.

I just called the home brewing store her, and he said it would cost about $40 for bottles. They can't take my wine bottles, but figured I could sell 'em on craigslist, so I'll probably do that.

I just called the home brewing store her, and he said it would cost about $40 for bottles. They can't take my wine bottles, but figured I could sell 'em on craigslist, so I'll probably do that.
Just start buying beers that are not twist offs and save the bottles :mug:

Was that $40 for a case? Because if so I love that strategy, pay $40 for a case of empty beer or you can go to your local beer store and pay $40 for a case of bottles with good beer in them...

$40 for enough bottles for one batch. just talked to a guy in the office here and he paid $30 for grolsch bottles from the bottle depot . . .

I agree that buying pre-filled ones from the liquor store is a good way to go, but I probably wouldn't drink them all in time to bottle a batch. At least my Wife probably hopes that :)

Was that $40 for a case? Because if so I love that strategy, pay $40 for a case of empty beer or you can go to your local beer store and pay $40 for a case of bottles with good beer in them...

Tell me about. What a rip off that would be. You shouldn't be paying more than about $0.50 per bottle. But, I also agree that drinking your way to a bottle collection is the best way to go.

You have to have some friends or neighbors that drink. Just ask them to save the bottles for you. That's what I did and I now have enough bottles for about 3 batches.

I would save your wine bottles. A lot of people who start brewing beer end up making wine also. If you use champagne bottles you can use wire hoods/cork cages to keep the corks from popping off.

Don't feel bad if you have to buy beer bottles. When I started I had to buy bottles because I was out of the area when my first batch was going, and when I came back I needed something fast so I could start batch No. 2. Do ask around though, because a lot of people you work with could be potential suppliers and tasters!

Recycling centers are great places to grab bottles. Just make certain to wear heavy duty gloves and only grab the pry offs.

If you're concerned about cleanliness, soak them in Oxyclean overnight...
Rinse them all out...
Throw them into the dish washer on pots and pans...
and THEN you can bake them in the oven... about 4 hours raising the temperature SLOWLY up to 300 a bit at a time, turning off the oven, and letting them cool overnight...

Extreme measures, but you won't have any beasties infecting your first brew from the bottles that way.

I would save your wine bottles. A lot of people who start brewing beer end up making wine also. If you use champagne bottles you can use wire hoods/cork cages to keep the corks from popping off.

My Wife and I used to make wine, but she can't drink anymore, so I thought I'd make use of all the equipment and try my hand at beer. I Have cases of wine bottles

:mug::ban:

Back