Classic Beer Style Series: Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedthebear

Reaction score
I just wanted to send an FYI to anyone who may be interested in this book on the history of Lambic brewing by Jean-Xavier Guinard. I ordered it on Amazon.com back in September and I think my order caused the publisher to make a new printing. (At least that's the impression I got from talking to Amazon about why they've delayed the shipping date twice.) I may actually get it by mid-January now. Anyone else interested in the book might be able to get a copy without having to waiting four months for it.

i've been able to hit up some used book stores and find these books for four or five dollars.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Life around here has been hell for the past three weeks.

Yeah, I was wrong. :mad:

They've pushed the delivery date back to March 31. At this point I'm ready to say, "F*** it!" to Amazon.

I'm going to tak t1master's advice and check a couple used & rare book stores over the weekend. If that doesn't work, I might go back to Amazon and buy it from one of the used book vendors it lists.

Funny thing is that yesterday I get an email from Amazon saying that the book was now available for order. So, of course, I ordered it right away. That's right, Amazon allowed me to go through the entire order process for the thing. Today, the book is off the site again. Amazon is giving me an estimated delivery date of February 23 - March 9.

I actually called Brewers Publications a few weeks ago and asked if it would be going back into print. The answer I got was, "Um, yeah, I really don't know." Why, of all the books in the series, must this one be out of print? :mad: Hello, PUT IT BACK IN PRINT. There is obviously a demand for it.

Good luck finding the book. I've been looking for a while now. At least I've come across some other intereting beer books in the process.

I had a chance to look at the inventory of some of the local rare & used bookstores. None of them have it. So I sent an email to the Brewers Association asking if they could at least republish it as an ebook.

Oh, and I looked on Amazon.co.uk. The used book dealers over there want L108 for it. For a 1/2" thick paperback that was originally print in 1990. Holy Crap that is expensive.

I told amazon I'd wait another 2 months. But if I hear from the Brewers Association before then, I may just fork out the $$$ for it.

I finally gave up on trying to get them to start reprinting the book and ordered it from a rare book collector.

Bastards.

Believe me, the thought has occured. In fact it was the first thought I had after shelling out $130 for it.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but I can't imagine anyone having much of a copyright or royalty claim on something that is out of print. If they wanted money for it, they should be printing it, right?

I have a copy. It is good, but $130 good? Even knew the author for a time. He used to send me yeast and helpful hints. So, maybe I should scan it and post it some place. Is there a way to do so without being traced? I don't know anything about this E-book stuff (or much about any of this E stuff for that matter)!

feedthebear said:
Believe me, the thought has occured. In fact it was the first thought I had after shelling out $130 for it.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but I can't imagine anyone having much of a copyright or royalty claim on something that is out of print. If they wanted money for it, they should be printing it, right?

I know Janx tried to track it down at one point and the publisher still had rights but wouldn't print it again...Wish he was still around so we could ask.

Brewpastor said:
I have a copy. It is good, but $130 good? Even knew the author for a time. He used to send me yeast and helpful hints. So, maybe I should scan it and post it some place. Is there a way to do so without being traced? I don't know anything about this E-book stuff (or much about any of this E stuff for that matter)!

I'd be willing to trade something for an e-book copy. I'd throw money in that trade to help defer the costs too.....

Whomever wants to embark on the adventure--I'll contribute. I want the contents of the book.

I emailed the publisher about it too. I asked if they could at least scan it and publish it as an ebook. I never heard back from them.

Bastards.

The $130 is for a copy that is undamaged and has never been removed from its original plastic wrap. I could have bought a damaged one for $75. I figure if I'm spending that much for it, I might as well buy the better one and make an investment out of it.

I'd like to scan it as a pdf, but I'd ruin the spine and the books value. It will take me a few lunch hours to type it up and insert the photos of the pictures. Then convert the file to a pdf. That is, if I were to do such a thing.

I'll bump the thread when I don't have anything.

Hi all, just seen this thread or i would have told you sooner, i just got a copy of that very book last week, brand new from this site http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1039.htm the price is £9.95, sorry it's in the uk for you guy's but even with shipping its gotter be faster and cheeper than the deal you are being offer'd over there. i'll keep my fingers crossed that it was not the last copy :mug:

That's weird because I saw it on Amazon.uk for £109.

I'm glad you got it. Maybe the seller doesn't know what he has. But its too late for me, mine has already shipped.

Hi feedthebear, yeh that's no surprise,i see that a lot on amazon.uk thay have the book at say £15 and in the "new/secondhand" bit it could be £50 or more. to be honest i was a bit miffed at paying full price (for an new old book) untill i read this thread.:D

Back