0 bottles of beer on the wall!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHaHa

Reaction score
Hello from Virginia all.

34 year old male from Virginia, prior Navy and always an active participant of consuming brews.

My previous hobby was that of drag racing, unfortunately, with my second child on the way, I've felt it necessary (for me, my reasons - not to say anyone in drag racing would have to share the same sentiment) to get out of that hobby for one that doesn't endanger my life much less leave two children daddy-less... besides, having homebrew and drag racing as dual hobbies probably isn't the best idea. ;)

That said. I'm completely ignorant to how beer is produced, or was until two weeks ago. I see websites left and right offering kits and such, limited findings of reputation, etc. I'm still at a loss as to which kit and from where I should purchase. What a terrible stage to be stuck at, mean while time goes on that I could be whipping up some brews. I've read the FAQ's but, I didn't happen to see a "vendor review", specifically for brew kits.

So that will likely be my first question in the proper forum. But for now, it is my pleasure to meet each and every one of you, beginners, novices, experts and masters alike. I am a person whom is always confident of my abilities/knowledge, albeit, I never assume I know everything. So I'm continuously striving to learn more and never turn a cheek to an idea/knowledge that contradicts what I believe is correct. In short, I'm an open minded individual and I look forwarding to learning! And if ever there is anyone in the Hampton Roads area that wishes to teach me by sampling their brew, I promise to be your best student! ;)

Welcome to the board. As for vendors...there's hundreds, but I will name a few of the well known and high quality ones...

Highgravitybrew.com
Midwestsupplies.com
NorthernBrewer.com
Morebeer.com

Your best bet though (and probably cheapest) is to see if you can locate a local homebrew shop.

Welcome to HBT.

Another great vendor. Brewmaster's Warehouse.

Welcome to the forum and the obsession.

@Suthrn - There is actually a local homebrew shop and while I would love to support the local guy, they appear to be more expensive than what I can find online. I'm sure after I know if this hobby is for me or not, I'll refer to them for ingredient kits, additional supplies, etc.

@McKBrew - I'll check them out, as well as the ones Suthrn listed.

Any thoughts on this by chance?

Homebrew Heaven Shopping Cart

I'll check those other companies out right now. Here is the local home brew stores website: HomeBrewUSA

I would be interested in this one if I purchased from the local: HomeBrewUSA

Doesn't have a bench capper as I think I would like over the dual lever and doesnt have a worth chiller (which I could make, though I haven't priced out the supplies to make one).

Decisions, decisions.. Checking out those other places now.

Welcome to the board. As far as kits go its all up to you just buy one cheap
and easy to get your feet wet along with a few bits and pieces here and
there before you know it your house will be like a brew shop. LOL :D

My first kit was from my LHBS and came with only the neccessities. It cost me around $70. I've never used a bench capper...but I would suggest sticking with the dual lever. They work nicely, and if you decide to get into kegging (which you most likely will) it will save you money since you won't use the bottlecapper much after that.

In an effort to become less ignorant, I've ordered these books tonight, which I'll receive this week:

"The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition (Harperresource Book)" : Charles Papazian

"How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time" : John J. Palmer

"The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs" : Joe Fisher

Hopefully they'll give a good amount of insight to all of this. I've seen them referenced throughout the site, so I anticipate they'll be very useful. The third book I got in anticipation of eventually growing my own ingredients, or as many as possible.

Suthrn, you have PM.

first off, welcome to the boards.

Good reading material... I'm a big fan of the Palmer book (online at How to Brew - By John Palmer) and constantly use it as a reference!

As far as places I have bought stuff:

Grains, equipment, and random supplies
Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes
Northern Brewer Home Brewing and Winemaking

for the Do It Yourself stuff:
McMaster-Carr

brewing is a good way to get together with friends and relax. That's originally why I got into the game. So g'luck if you do jump head first into things -- if you're not sure, get the begining equipment kit and a extract brew and be on your way. If you plan on brewing for a while, the cost of the equipment will eventually zero out and the beer will be cheaper than buying commerical beer -- but then again, after the first few brews, it gets addicting and there are So many different things you can change and tweek.. but that is part of the fun.

Enjoy and always remember: RDWHAHB

Back