Ying Ling clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaptain_karma

Reaction score
My buddy from the east coast is missing one of his favorite beers from home. Does anyone know a decent clone recipe for Ying Ling? It would be a dream come true for a coast dude stuck in the middle of Missouri.

No recipe - but back east we spell it "Yeungling's!" Good luck with hunting down a nice clone - they make a heck of a beer.

4.5 lbs Laaglander Light Malt Extract
1 lb Rice
1 lb Cara-pils
.5 lb Crystal Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
1/3 oz Tettnanger (10 mins)
1/5 oz Saaz (5 mins)
California Lager 2112 yeast

Steep grains in 1 gallon water at 158 degrees for 1/2 hour. Remove grains. Add DME and rice solids. Boil 1 hour adding hops at times listed above. Cool wort and pitch yeast.

Style Lager
Recipe Type Partial Mash
Batch Size 5 US gallons
Original Gravity 1.047
Final Gravity 1.012
Boiling Time 60 mins
Primary Fermentation Plastic, 7 days @ 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation Glass, 14 days @ 65 degrees
Other Specifics 22 IBU's 4.7% AC

Best after aging in bottle in a cool place 1 month.

Found this on tastybrew.com have not tried it yet but plan to.

Hmmmm.. fermenting all the way down to 1.012 even with 4.5 lbs of Laaglander in it? That stuff is only 65% fermentable. I'd have my doubts about getting a FG that low and an ABV that high. Laaglander will make a thick brew.

klcramer said:
4.5 lbs Laaglander Light Malt Extract
1 lb Rice
1 lb Cara-pils
.5 lb Crystal Malt
1 oz Northern Brewer hops (60 mins)
1/3 oz Tettnanger (10 mins)
1/5 oz Saaz (5 mins)
California Lager 2112 yeast

Steep grains in 1 gallon water at 158 degrees for 1/2 hour. Remove grains. Add DME and rice solids. Boil 1 hour adding hops at times listed above. Cool wort and pitch yeast.

Style Lager
Recipe Type Partial Mash
Batch Size 5 US gallons
Original Gravity 1.047
Final Gravity 1.012
Boiling Time 60 mins
Primary Fermentation Plastic, 7 days @ 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation Glass, 14 days @ 65 degrees
Other Specifics 22 IBU's 4.7% AC

Best after aging in bottle in a cool place 1 month.

Found this on tastybrew.com have not tried it yet but plan to.

Walker-san said:
Hmmmm.. fermenting all the way down to 1.012 even with 4.5 lbs of Laaglander in it? That stuff is only 65% fermentable. I'd have my doubts about getting a FG that low and an ABV that high. Laaglander will make a thick brew.

Good catch.

That's a lager too, so you want as dry and as crisp as you can get. Laaglander won't get you anywhere close to that! :)

klcramer said:
so what adjustment do you suggest?

Use ANY other brand of extract. Laaglander is the only one that I know of on the market that is high in dextrins and finishes with a high gravity.

By the way, is that "rice" actually rice malt extract or what? I doubt it's just plain old rice from the pantry.

-walker

EDIT: if you read the recipe, the author indirectly states that this is 1 lb of sice solids.... whatever that is.

honestly, I'd just get a small amount of liquid rice extract and use that. It sounds like the guys on that forum are advocating using flaked rice, various types of whole rice, sice syrup.

Since you are a beginner, I'd just say use extract. Using other forms of rice (if I am correct) will require a mash so that you don't end up with a bunch of starch in your beer making it super cloudy or gooey.

-walker

SteveM said:
No recipe - but back east we spell it "Yeungling's!" Good luck with hunting down a nice clone - they make a heck of a beer.

Ying Ling is a great name for a Yeungling's clone ;)

Kai

Back