I always thought you keggers were crazy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
for having so many freaking kegs around. That was completely foreign to me as some who was bottling.

Now that I have kicked my first two kegs, have 3 brews at various stages of readiness and grain on the way for 3 more brews... the heavens have opened and I have seen the light.

I ordered 4 more cornys today and now I'm wishing I would have made it 8.

BM's stash of 15+ kegs now makes perfect sense to me (although his ugly junk does not :p ).

I'm happy with 8 kegs and two serving faucets. Some of the guys with like 4+ faucet keggerators may benefit from a few more. Aged beer tastes better, plain and simple.

I am up to five cornies under one serving tap and feel close. I'll get _at least_ four more when I add a second tap to my system. Maybe ten more.

Yeh... thats the idea... keep em filled so you always have the good stuff on tap. Well, I prefer not to brew in the summer due to heat - so I kinda use the reserves to get through june/july/august without having to brew.

I have 4 (only a 2 keg kegerator) and at $55CAD a piece I can't afford more for a while. I have a hard time keeping them filled too. As soon as I float one I pretty much have to brew immediately to refill it.

bradsul said:
I have 4 (only a 2 keg kegerator) and at $55CAD a piece I can't afford more for a while. I have a hard time keeping them filled too. As soon as I float one I pretty much have to brew immediately to refill it.

anticipate... brew early and try to time kicking a keg. Even if you go long its not gonna hurt to have your brew in secondary for 3-4 weeks.

I have 4 right now. I can fit 3 in the keezer, but I only have two gas lines.

I need 1 more corny, that will be specifically for mead use. sparkling melomels are the shiz-nit. and since I won't drink tons of mead in one sitting, I won't mind switching the QD over to dispensing a few mugs...for now.

I've got 6 or 7 floating around the apartment and I love it.

Ironically though, I skipped bottling directly and I kind of like it (the one time I've done it). I'll be using a BMBF from now on though, so forget my blasphemy. :)

:rockin: on keggers.

I'm in the process of building a big kegerator now that will have 5 kegs on tap and 5 more in cold storage. So, I picked up 4 more cornies and now have 21. I use one to keep star san in and the other 20 will hold 10 batches of beer.

I just drove down to a soda distributor and picked up 20 kegs for the local club. So right now I have 37 kegs in the house. 4 of those are mine and 16 will disappear.

I have 21 5's a 10 and 2 3's
I have 4 that are out of commision and need to be gone over and super cleaned. The rest are in the rotation, I find my self brewing more than I can drink and the only way to give it away is to bottle it and thats a PITA

I have a makeshift kegerator with 3 kegs and two taps right now, want to go get a big chest freezer and set it up with 4 or 5 taps. It's so much easier than bottling.

I have been kegging for 3 months now previously I was using bottles.
The 5 5gallon and 1 2.5G see constant rotation. I haven't put my sanke keg into use yet...I will probably cut the top off and convert it to a keggle / fementer.
I used to brew twice a week which got to time consuming so now i just double batch on Saturdays in a big brew bucket.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

I have 5 cornies in circulation plus one for starsan, and 2 taps. I really wish I brewed enough to keep them all full, but so far I think the most I've had filled at once was 3, and usually I barely have 2 - which means limited conditioning time, as kegs don't spend much time waiting around before being needed in the kegerator. Lack of free time, string of bad luck on recent batches killing my motivation, yada yada yada, all the typical excuses. The important thing is, I'm really determined to kick it into high gear now and get these things filled up.

I have room for 8 kegs. But only 4 gas lines for now. I will jump it up so I can keep them all on the gas and I will put a tower with 8 taps on it some day. Right now the 8 picknic taps and swopping the gas lines when I need to is working. I also have 3 kegs in my fermenting room wating for room in the fridge. :D

I only have four 5 gallon cornies and one 3 gallon, currently all kegs are filled. I don't drink enought to warrant more and I really don't want a bunch of extra equipment (blasphemy, I know :D).

I've finally got a situation where I can keep my kegs filled so long as a always have something in primary/secondary as well as the occasional brew that I intentionally bottle the entire batch.

This was back before summer. It's nearly empty now. /sniff.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

Too many parties. Too many donated kegs. /sniff

EdWort said:
This was back before summer. It's nearly empty now. /sniff.

KeezerAlmostFull.jpg

Too many parties. Too many donated kegs. /sniff

What size freezer is that, I am going shopping for one next week.

SuperiorBrew said:
What size freezer is that, I am going shopping for one next week.

It's a 20 cu. ft. Frigidaire. It's a floor model with some scratches, but I picked it up for $399.

Scratch & Dent is the way to go for garage keezers.

I have seven 5-gallon cornies and four 3-gallon ones. I think I'm set. I don't have time to keep any more than that full........

Kevin Dean said:
I've got 6 or 7 floating around the apartment and I love it.

Ironically though, I skipped bottling directly and I kind of like it (the one time I've done it). I'll be using a BMBF from now on though, so forget my blasphemy. :)

:rockin: on keggers.
There's a one-time six pack royalty ya know...:D

I have five cornies, two primaries (but enough free pails to make as many as I want) and as of Christmas Eve, four glass secondaries. I think the kegs might be enough because I use the carboys for storage until a corny comes free. That being said, I'm always on the lookout for more kegs. Like Bradsul and to a greater degree Orfy, they're pricey up here.

I'm putting together a kegging system right now. I just ordered 8- 5 gallon cornies and have 4 - 10 gallon kegs on hand already. Can't wait to get started, I've been bottling too long.

Off topic but I've seen it mentioned at least twice in this thread... I'm on the hunt for two (or more) 10~15 gallon ball lock kegs to use as bright tanks. If anyone has the scoop on such, please let me know.

Thanks!

BierMuncher said:
There's a one-time six pack royalty ya know...

I'll gladly send you a sixer. :) Hell, for the money I saved on that one, I can do two full batches. Just give my time to brew something that isn't total crap. Everything I've got on hand is crappy - two failed apfelwein experiments, a pale ale that's flat and watery and a Mocha Porter Clone that's watery.

All of these batches before I started tasting them and tweaking based on my equipment. I've got a bitter that might be amazing (crossing my fingers!) and if it turns out decent I'll spread the love in swaps and "royalties". :mug:

you can get corney kegs for $19.50 at kegkits.com that was the cheapest place i could find i bought 8, they were the non refurbished ie they haven't been cleaned, but they are pressure tested..... and contrary to the website they do have the used ball locks..... http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=TANK

also they have the 20lb co2 tanks for $92 that was pretty awesome. I live in Nashville, TN and grew up in Huntsville AL, my buddy who is getting into all this stuff with me lives in Huntsville, and the brew store that he found there ended up being kegkits.com thats how we got turned on to their deals. hope this helps

Cheers

Back