Peach Wine Needs Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felixio

Reaction score
I am currently working on a 5 gallon batch of Jack Keller's Peach and Banana Wine. (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques26.asp) But instead of 3lb of peaches per gallon, I used 4lbs.

I just transferred it from the primary to secondary and added the second sugar treatment. It tastes very thin and watery. I was hoping that someone else has made this and could tell me if this is what it's supposed to taste like at this point, will it get better or thinner.

I'm playing with other ideas on how to add body to this batch and save it from oblivion. So far the only thing that I have been able to come up with is that there is one more sugar treatment left (40oz of sugar) and I could instead use Welch's Frozen Grape Peach Juice (100%, no preservatives) to replace some of the sugar. I've done the math and I found that 1 can ~ 8.25 oz. Meaning that I could use up to 5 cans of juice without overshooting my expected alcohol content of 11%-12% by too much.

Has anyone tried this? Would it add the flavor that I'm looking for or would it come out tasting like peachy Kerosene? Should I just use one or two cans for a 5 gallon batch, or use all 5?

I understand that tastes vary and that everyone will like something different. Knowing that I'm asking what everyone's opinion and experience is in the matter. I'm still a little new, so the by-the-book stuff I can work out, but this by-feel stuff is still hard for me.

I am sure the white grape peach juice would work. I am currently using that in a white grape peach wine of my own. I do not know how well the white grape would compliment the banana in this wine though. If I may quote Mr. Keller:

"Peach wine is very good, but peaches themselves have very little body and a second ingredient is necessary for a healthy body."

So why not add an additional amount of banana? Mix like 2 pounds of bananas, 2 cups of water, 20oz of Sugar, 1/2tsp of pectic enzyme and a 1/2 crushed camden tablet all in a blender. Let that sit 24 hours and then pitch that.

If you do go with the concentrate I would do two cans for the 5 gallons. That should be plenty to add some flavor and a little body. Also if you want more body then stabilize the wine before pitching more fermentables. The sweeter wine will inherently have a higher body. Just use 5 crushed camden tablets & Potassium sorbate per package directions.

Back