I'm moving to full boils!!! SCORE!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven1a

Reaction score
Scored this at a garage sale for $50. 32 quarts (8 Gallons).

This weekend I'll be doing a Pumking clone with this bad boy!!!

kettle1.jpg

kettle2.jpg

how big is your batch size going to be? I'm assuming 5 gallons but for a beer that big (if i remember it correctly) you are going to need a lot of water to boil down and use for a pot that sized. Just take your time and add some more mash/sparge water and boil off, then fill more up and boil off until you get close to your pre-boil gravity.

what are you using for a pumking clone recipe too? Don't mind a good pumpkin beer but Pumking was one of the few i just couldnt stand, too much spice or nutmeg in it... wouldnt mind trying a similar clone with toning down the spices some...

goodluck with it either way

ArcticBear said:
how big is your batch size going to be? I'm assuming 5 gallons but for a beer that big (if i remember it correctly) you are going to need a lot of water to boil down and use for a pot that sized. Just take your time and add some more mash/sparge water and boil off, then fill more up and boil off until you get close to your pre-boil gravity.

Lolwut?

I'm still doing extracts so, the kettle is perfect for that. And yeah, I'm doing 5 gallon batches.

I took an imperial pumpkin ale recipe from this site and modified it in beersmith and went looking for what Pumking's hops and IBU's are.

I really love Pumking. It was the first beer I REALLY got into. And, mainly because it was like a nice big glass of pumpkin pie in beer form.

Here's the recipe I'm going with:

1lb Caramel/Crystal 10L - (30 min steep)
9 Lbs Gold Malt Extract (60 minutes)
1.5Lbs Light Brown Sugar (60 minutes)
1oz Magnum Hops (60 minutes)
60oz pumpkin puree (5 minutes)
4 Tsp pumpkin pie spice (5 minutes)
1oz Sterling hops (2 minutes)

2 pkgs Safale US-05.

Beersmith has the IBU's at 46 which is higher than Pumking, but I'm okay with that.

I am really jealous of your find. Tell you what, I am going to make you a deal you won't possibly be able to refuse. I am going to double your money and offer you ONE WHOLE DOLLAR for your pot!!!!! Who else is willing to double your money? Lol

not for a beer that big as in 5 gallons... i meant a beer that high in starting gravity.. but i guess at 8.6% abv its not huge..

and what i meant is you may not be able to get all of your mash and sparge wort into that pot to start your boil... so you will have to slowly add more sparge wort and boil off until you get to your desired preboil gravity.

i've used an 8 gallon pot to do a 1.110 beer and i had to boil for over 3 hours to get enough concentrated wort to start my boil schedule. I simply couldnt fit enough wort in an 8 gallon pot to make a 5 gallon batch of beer that strong in abv

I am really jealous of your find. Tell you what, I am going to make you a deal you won't possibly be able to refuse. I am going to double your money and offer you ONE WHOLE DOLLAR for your pot!!!!! Who else is willing to double your money? Lol

Um...you did see that I put $50 and not $.50 right?

wait...$50 or $.50. $.50 is a great deal...$50 is almost retail, not garage sale price.

markm2151 said:

How is that doubling his money? He said he paid $50 for it.

Um...you did see that I put $50 and not $.50 right?

This is what I get for reading fast. I was skimming and saw the words garage saw and then the numbers with a period close to it and my mind put the clues together as you got a pot at a garage sale for $.50, sorry about that my friend. Still, you found yourself a nice score.

I just bought a 20 gal Stainless pot last week. I will be doing my full boils on my propane burner outside and wanted to be able to do 10 gal batch full boils in the future. Have fun!

Back