1st time - Primary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacks13

Reaction score
Finished my pale ale sat evening. Starting bubbling in airlock almost right away but slowed down Sunday night and is now almost 1-2 bubbles per minute in airlock? Is it normal to only last for 24-36 hours?

What should I do? When do I move to secondary?

That sounds pretty normal. I usually follow the 1-2-3 "rule": one week in primary, two in secondary, three in bottles. You can move it to secondary whenever the fermentation is done, though. I sometimes leave it in primary for about 10 days just because of my work schedule.

The only way to know if it's really done is to check the sg, though. At this point, I would let it sit for at least a few more days.

some yeasts are pretty fast. Don't worry. Always try to remember that. Leave it at least a week, it can sit longer in primary. Even though you do not see alot of visible activity the yeast are still doing there thing. If you rack it too soon they will not be able to "clean up after themselves" as well.

I'm not getting any bubbles into the airlock. I checked the airlock itself and it seems tight. It's only been 40 or so hours since I began fermenting...could it be ready for the secondary?

Any tests for that, or should I just give it a few more days?

Yooper Chick said:
I think we've answered this question already!

Be patient, don't worry. Leave it alone. :D

Thanks - just got a little anxious.

Just like your mom told you... DONT PLAY WITH IT! HA HA

Pol

Ok, I say this alot because I have a 4yr old boy.

Put it down! don't touch it!

Now go plan your next batch.:)

okay. So I have a similar question. I'm doing an ale as well. Primary is in a 5 gallon bucket with airtight top and airlock. It's been 8 days, and now bubbles are only coming at a rate of every minute and twenty seconds. Can I move to a glass carboy now (with air lock) to allow the beer to clear (this is a raspberry ale with the raspberries and everything else right in the bucket (didn't sparge)? What say you?

I just got up the guts to open the bucket (which I hope didn't disturb it too much). The krausen is still on top, so I take it that -- given the krausen hasn't dropped -- it's not done fermenting - right? Or should I move it to a secondary? I'm a little paranoid because my last beer was brewed in a primary alone; it bubbled forever and ever; and the final product was a little yeasty in taste.

Per the board's suggestions and John Palmer's book, I waited until today and I checked the sg. At the same time I sipped the beer from the sample tube, as Palmer suggested. Does taste like beer, and a pale ale nonetheless.

Some observations...

- It is a little watery - is this due to the fact it's only fermented for 3 days?

- There is little klausen at the top..just some sediment floating around. I'm planning to wait another 24 hrs and if sg is the same move to secondary. Sound right?

Anybody else taste their beer at this point and have any comparison to their final product?

Remember that even though the major fermentation is done, the yeast are now in the phase of "cleaning up after themselves". It would be better to wait a week or so to move it. What was the s.g? It may still drop a couple of points.

It's watery because it's not conditioned and carbonated. It will taste much better in 5-6 weeks!

Back