Please critique my IIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I have been brewing other peoples recipes for about year now. I want to try and create my own recipes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I tried to use other peoples recipes to get an idea and am also trying to use up some old hops I have.

11 lbs Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1 lb Caramel Pils
8 oz Briess 2 Row Caramel 10
8 oz Caramel Munich
4 oz Crisp Crystal Malt 120L

Warrior Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ 20 mins
Cascade Pellets .5 oz @ 15 mins
Citra Pellets 1 oz @ 10 mins
Centennial Pellets .5 oz @ 10 mins
Cascade Pellets .5 oz @ 5 mins
Centennial Pellets 1 oz @ Dry
Citra Pellets 1 oz @ Dry
Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I'd say bump down the Crystal malts, my input would be 8 oz cara-pils and 8 oz Crystal 10L. Bump the Munich up to around 2 pounds or so, and adjust the base malt to compensate for that. Will it be within the guidelines for color? Probably not, but I really could care less about color for IIPAs. They're all about the hops anyways. And on that subject: I'd say up those late additions. To at least 1 oz for each addition from 20 to 5 min, I'd even look at adding at least another ounce of hops at knockout.

That's just what I would brew to my tastes, I like huge hop aromas and pretty dry IIPAs.

Back