Might have spare whiskey barrel(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pd230soi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

My office may (repeat may) order one or possibly two of the Jack Daniel's Single Barrels. We only can ship the bottles not the barrels. They did this a few years ago (before my time) and apparently according to office rumor actually had a problem getting rid of the barrels. The barrels are large enough to mature 250 750ml bottles.

If they do this again I would offer to "dispose" of the barrel(s) by giving it away to someone here who can handle it without any assistance from me (OCONUS). I think I might ask that the new owner do "something" for a veteran or veteran's group. That something is totally up to the person getting the barrel - I am not going to judge/arbitrate in any way. It could range from reading to veterans to training/education - only random thoughts here.

My thread today is only to guage interest on HBT. Are people interested in a free JD whiskey barrel (see link) if they are responsible for going and getting it. It would be in an "AS IS" condition since I will not see the barrel.

http://www.jackdaniels.com/singlebarrel/BuyBarrel.aspx

I need to explore more, but we would be doing this pre-winter holiday season.

Regards,
Jon

Where would it have to be picked up from? If you don't have a problem with Canadians, I'm in the US a lot and have friends all over the place, so I could very well arrange to get it picked up (or possibly do it myself), and I am very interested.

I have used the JD barrel chips (for BBQ) to age beer on and the flavor is really great. However It does not taste like bourbon because JD is not. The flavor profile may be different to what you are anticipating so I would try a small batch on the chips before committing to a barrel.

My understanding is that its in Lynchburg, Tennessee, but not sure yet. They could have a different facility that handles this sort of thing, but I would think it would be close by

Anyone who brews beer and can get it, can get it. I have no issues with Canadians!

pd230soi said:
My understanding is that its in Lynchburg, Tennessee, but not sure yet. They could have a different facility that handles this sort of thing, but I would think it would be close by

Anyone who brews beer and can get it, can get it. I have no issues with Canadians!

Are they leaving the barrel in the area, or is your company headquartered near the distillery? I know the barrels begin there, I'm just confused as to why they'd end up there as well (for me to pick up), or if we're even on the same page here!

Man, I wish I read this all the way through earlier, I got too excited. I will be in Sofia in a few weeks and thought I could get myself a JD barrel.

On a secondary topic, Jon, if you're up for a beer or three when I'm in town let me know and I'll send you my info as I get it.

Apprently when you buy one of these things they bottle it there (TN) and are willing to ship it or you pick it up. Since I am not in the US we do not want to ship the barrel. So the barrel will stay there. The wiskey we will have shipped.

Make sense yet?

pd230soi said:
Apprently when you buy one of these things they bottle it there (TN) and are willing to ship it or you pick it up. Since I am not in the US we do not want to ship the barrel. So the barrel will stay there. The wiskey we will have shipped.

Make sense yet?

Yep, sorry about the confusion! I'm using the cell phone app, which doesn't show locations, so I had wrongly assumed you were from the US.

cokronk said:
What's the size and weight? I live one state away and may be down for a road trip.

Well, a little bit of simple math indicates it's a 50 gallon barrel. As for the weight, I imagine it's mostly in line with other barrels of the size, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

It should be roughly 100lbs, and I don't know the exact dimensions, but it should be a bit less than 2' x 3' (and not necessarily in those proportions).

I'm interested and will go get if this pans out. Let me know, or PM me with details.

Back