Small beer - Need some thoughts on my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnabyHooge

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a small beer with a somewhat prominent biscuit malt at the front with a toasted/slightly roasted finish. I don't want it too sweet but I'd like enough crystal to give it a slight caramel note and help with the body. I'd like the bitterness to be on the malt side of balanced (still without sweetness) but also a bit crisp in the finish if possible.

Any thoughts on the below recipe? It's a ten gallon batch

Fermentables

US Pale Ale Malt____ 11.00 lb____75.9 % 3.4 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 15 Malt____1.25 lb____ 8.6 % 1.7 In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Biscuit Malt____1.00 lb____ 6.9 % 2.0 In Mash/Steeped
UK Brown Malt____ 0.75 lb____ 5.2 % 3.8 In Mash/Steeped
US Special Roast Malt____0.50 lb____ 3.4 % 2.2 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Willamette 4.5 % 2.00 oz 16.3 Loose Whole Hops 60 Min From End

That recipe looks like it hits your description well. What mash temp and yeast are you going for? Without knowing that it is hard to say how sweet it will finish.

Sorry, my slow internet last night landed me with two of these threads. Yeast is London III and I'm think I'll mash at 156.

And my lazy eyes missed your other thread. Sounds good, although I've become a big fan of London ESB recently, the high mash temp is a good idea for such a low gravity beer I think.

awesome recipe, like a darker, toasty English bitter.

I love the brown malt. I am a big fan of the brown and amber malt.

I think your beer will end up being a bit like new belgiums fat tire actually.

I could sub the Pale malt for Golden Promise, but the pale I did with GP is a lot cloudier than any other beer I've made. I want this one to be pretty clear.

Back