Broke my hydrometer. Can I transfer to secondary without a reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

de5m0mike

Reaction score
Quick history. This is only my 4th batch of beer. I just started hanging around on HBT.com, and I think from what I've gathered by reading old threads that I had always transfered to secondary too soon. Usually only after 5-7 days. So with this batch I wanted to try and do right, be patient, and let it sit until it was really ready. Unfortunately, I just broke my hydrometer and now I have no way of knowing, other than looking at the bubbles in the airlock weather or not it's ready to transfer. The beer is an all centennial IPA that is on Day 13 in the primary (it has been between 62º and 64º this whole time). Oh, and I accidently poured most of the trub/hot break, or what ever you call it, into the primary so I don't know if that is effecting it or not but I'm still getting a bubble every 40 to 50 seconds. Should I transfer to secondary yet or let it sit longer? I've got a lot of crap going on right now and I probably can't get over to the other side of town to buy another hydrometer for at least a few more days, maybe longer.

Don't know if it matters or not but here is the recipe I used.

7lb DME (Pilsen Light)
1/2 lb. - Caramel/Crystal Malt (10L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (60 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (30 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (15 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Pellets (1 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] Leaf Hops (Dry Hop 7 days)
Yeast: Safale 05 (Recommended fermentation temperature: 59-75F).

Or you can do what a vast majority of brewers are doing and not secondarying...leave it in primary for a month then bottle. And you won;t need to thake a hydro reading. Just let the yeast finishe the job AND clean up after itself, like it is wont to do if we don't interfere and rack it away.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness, led mostly by us on here, and now picked up by the mainstream of brewing....

You can read about it here for a start.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

Your beer will thank for for it.

Or you can do what a vast majority of brewers are doing and not secondarying...leave it in primary for a month then bottle. And you won;t need to thake a hydro reading. Just let the yeast finishe the job AND clean up after itself, like it is wont to do if we don't interfere and rack it away.

There's been a big shift in brewing consciousness, led mostly by us on here, and now picked up by the mainstream of brewing....

You can read about it here for a start.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

Your beer will thank for for it.

I could do that but I was thinking that because I didn't separate it from the trub after the boil (just poured it all in the primary) that it could probably use the secondary stage for clearing. Plus I'd rather get it out of the ale pale and into the glass carboy. I think if I was going to skip secondary I'd go straight into the carboy and skip the ale pale. Maybe next time.

Oh, and I just started reading that link and the first thing it says it that you don't need secondary unless you are planning to add fruit or dry hop. I'd like to dry hop this batch so that sounds like another good reason to go to secondary.

I could do that but I was thinking that because I didn't separate it from the trub after the boil (just poured it all in the primary) that it could probably use the secondary stage for clearing. Plus I'd rather get it out of the ale pale and into the glass carboy. I think if I was going to skip secondary I'd go straight into the carboy and skip the ale pale. Maybe next time.

I usually "don't seperate the trub from the boil" and have never had a problem with leaving them in for a month. They're perfectly clear.

Go read my post #26 in the thread I linked, the one where I mention that's not complicated, and you don't need to do anything special to do it, that with time the trub compresses really tight as the beer clears......

I usually leave the beer in primary for at least two weeks before moving to secondary. IMHO, a hydrometer reading at that point is interesting but not necessary.

take a taste and see where your sugars are at. if nothing else, listen to revvy. i doubt anyone in the history of homebrewing has ever said "man i should have ignored that guy" when it comes to his advice.

Back