Never fear the foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go ahead and fear it this time around...

foamfear.JPG

This is my first time using star san in a fermenter. Wasn't expecting that much foam. Perhaps I won't shake it so much next time...

Thats what mine look like. The majority of it will push up through the neck and look really neat until it plops over and makes a small mess. If you have more patience than me, you can let it sit upside down for an hour or so and most of it will probably drip out. Just don't rinse it out...

You really don't need to shake it up that much. I just put in a half-gallon or so, and twist the carboy around, making sure the liquid contacts every part of the interior. Then I pour it back into my Star San jug, and slap some foil over the mouth of the carboy until I'm ready to pump the wort in.

Like others have said...don't sweat it! Most of the foam will climb out...some of it will shinny up the tubing like a snake, and the rest will drip to floor and make a clean spot! Whatever remains in the carboy will help nourish your yeast.

wow, if yall say so. I figured that much foam would surely be detrimental to the taste. The belgian wit that now occupies exhibit A is bubbling away happily.

nope. when we say don't fear the foam we really really mean DON'T FEAR THE FOAM

If it makes you feel any better, here is a pic of my wit i just bottled as it was going into the primary. It tastes fine.

n665435075_6193895_4794888.jpg

Unless you are waking up in a cold-sweats due too Star-San foam nightmares I wouldn't worry about it.

My kegs look like that and the foam comes up in a well formed column through the top looking like a white version of those snake 4th of July ash doohickies as I rack my beer into it! :tank:

Back