(HELP! need recipe) Chicken stock orange juice shrimp recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Here in Louisville at the Mayan cafe, I had the most succulent shrimp ever.

They were drowning in this sauce that was quite unique. I couldn't figure out what was in it.

I asked the waiter, and determined that it was a chicken stock/ orange juice base, but that was it.

I have an orange, chicken stock, cilantro (?), onions, garlic, a habanero, salt.

Anyone have a clue? I am not sure if it really was a "mayan" recipe, but it was off the freaking hook!

HELP!

Well screw you guys, I am going home.

;)

Ended up fantastic.

I made 3 cups or so of chicken stock, thickened with a little corn starch, I added the juice from this seedless orange thingy with a GIANT navel (forgot the name) itwas really sweet, so I added a tbsp or so of fresh lemon juice.

I left the habanero in big chunks, diced the cilantro and green onions small.

I crushed fresh garlic in after flameout. Made all the difference!

Sorry, so yummy I scarfed it down so no pic.

I'd say to play around with the juice in the stock and maybe add some orange zest until you get the right flavor. You may also be able to use some orange cool-aide mix or something like that.

:mug:

It was really lack luster after the juice of one orange and 3 cups chicken stock. The fresh garlic added at the end (not cooked) really brought it to life!

It really was fantastic.

Awesome! Sometimes a bit of white vinegar will make it pop as well. Glad you were able to replicate it.

You know, if you didn't mention chicken stock (which could have been added after in the dish itself) it sounds like Mojo Crillo which is a Cuban marinade/sauce base made with sour orange juice, garlic and spices.

I usually by it from Goya in bottles,

41HQ9XB21QL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

But I've made my own as well. Pretty tasty stuff, and like anything, there's usually personal variations. I've seen it adapted in creole cooking as well as jamaican with habeneros in it.

Finding the true bitter orange juice is hard, but most of the recipes call for normal orange juice soured with lemon and/or lime juice.

Here's a basic recipe.

Ingredients

garlic clove 12
salt 2 Tbsps
lemon juice 1/2 cup
orange juice 1 1/2 cups
oregano (dried) 2 Tbsps
bay leaf 2 crumbled
cumin 2 tsps
water 1 cup

Dice the garlic with the salt. Using the back of your knife scrape the garlic from side to side to make a garlic paste.
In a large bowl combine the garlic paste, lemon juice, and orange juice.
Stir in the oregano, bay leaf, cumin, and water.
Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour or better overnight.

FYI, Crillo is just a derivation of the word creole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although this doesn't use actual mojo crillo in it, it sounds tasty. This is a cuban shrimp creole.

I would marinade the shrimp first in Mojo Crillo, and then rather than deglaze with the wine, I would use more of the marinade. And leave out the olives.

And add a little diced habenero if I wanted to give it that heat.

I actually have a half bottle of Goya in my fridge, may do something like this tonight. I actually have some small cans of mexican tomato sauce that contains chilies in it...may use that.

hmmmm I think dinner is served....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks revvy and headbanger.

The chicken stock/orange juice sounded odd to me, but it is magical!

I may try your recipes Revvy. Yes the habanero chunks add just the right amount of spice (without crunching down on one, which would amplify the heat 10 fold)

Thomas Keller has a very simple & tasty sauce/glaze for shrimp called Soy-Temple Orange Glaze.

*2 cups orange juice, reduced to a glaze (just under 1/2 cup)
*A dash of soy sauce (for a color adjustment and flavor --> sodium)
*2 tbsp. unsalted butter (added to the glaze at flameout for richness)

To Mexicanify it, you can steep shrimp shells in the OJ and cut some of it with fresh lime juice and Caldo de Cameron (homemade Mexican Shrimp Stock with dried chiles). Float a slit fire-roasted habanero in the mixture at boil start. Finish with a julienne of cilantro.

For more sauce/glaze, that recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupuled, etc. accordingly.

Thomas Keller has a very simple & tasty sauce/glaze for shrimp called Soy-Temple Orange Glaze.

*2 cups orange juice, reduced to a glaze (just under 1/2 cup)
*A dash of soy sauce (for a color adjustment and flavor --> sodium)
*2 tbsp. unsalted butter (added to the glaze at flameout for richness)

To Mexicanify it, you can steep shrimp shells in the OJ and cut some of it with fresh lime juice and Caldo de Cameron (homemade Mexican Shrimp Stock with dried chiles). Float a slit fire-roasted habanero in the mixture at boil start. Finish with a julienne of cilantro.

For more sauce/glaze, that recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupuled, etc. accordingly.

Something tells me that you know what you are doing! (not that revvy or headbanger don't ;))

I always mean to hold onto the shells and use them, but never do.

Just made a variation of what I mentioned above with the mojo crillo, came out better that I imagined.

1.5# shrimp shelled and deveined
1/2 cup of Goya Mojo Crillo Marinade
1/2 medium onion finely diced
1/2 orange pepper diced
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
dry white wine to deglaze pan with
7 ounce can of Mexican tomato sauce with chilies
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cominos
Chopped cilantro or parsley to garnish.

Marinaded the shrimp in the mojo grillo for an hour, separated the shrimp from the marinade and reserved it. Sweated down the peppers, onions and garlic. Deglazed with a splash of wine, added the tomato sauce, marinade and spices. Reduced by half. Tossed in the shrimp and let them cook til they changed color. Garnish with either cilantro or parsley. Served in a bowl with toasted garlic bread. But could be over rice as well.

You could give it more heat with habenero, or even just hot sauce, but the heat from the tomato/chili sauce was perfect for me.

You mentioned this Mayan shrimp recipe, and my mind immediatley goes to:

Coney stock (am I the only one with rabbit in the freezer? Ok chicken, then)
half and half pineapple/orange juice (fresh of course)
ginger (fresh of course)
scallions (or maybe leeks even!)
garlic
either tomatoes (for rojo) or tomatillos (for verde)
ghost pepper or rocoto pepper.
For something a little less spicy...I'm thinking somethign peppery like thai peppers or something.

oh, and copious amounts of cilantro. for those who abhor cilantro, I'd substitute parsley.

Looks like I just found dinner. Thanks for the idea.

You mentioned this Mayan shrimp recipe, and my mind immediatley goes to:

Coney stock (am I the only one with rabbit in the freezer? Ok chicken, then)
half and half pineapple/orange juice (fresh of course)
ginger (fresh of course)
scallions (or maybe leeks even!)
garlic
either tomatoes (for rojo) or tomatillos (for verde)
ghost pepper or rocoto pepper.
For something a little less spicy...I'm thinking somethign peppery like thai peppers or something.

oh, and copious amounts of cilantro. for those who abhor cilantro, I'd substitute parsley.

Looks like I just found dinner. Thanks for the idea.

You have coneys and rocoto peppers?? Where the hell do you live????

Sounds Awesome!

:mug:

I live in the heart of Detroit, MI!

All spicy/latin ingredients such as Rocoto peppers? Several Supermercados have them. Along with specialty meats like tongue and tripe and pig/beef head. Yum.

More exotic stuff like coneys? Thankfully the Muslim capital of the US is Dearborn, which borders Detroit. Off to the Dearborn Hillers for any kind of hillel meat you can imagine.

I made paprika/lime quail the other day. Word.

And I always keep a brace of coneys on hand for my famous leek 'n coney pot pie. They even sell them with the guts 'n gizzards and all for the gravy.

Detroit may have problems...but we have awesome food.

I live in the heart of Detroit, MI!

All spicy/latin ingredients such as Rocoto peppers? Several Supermercados have them. Along with specialty meats like tongue and tripe and pig/beef head. Yum.

More exotic stuff like coneys? Thankfully the Muslim capital of the US is Dearborn, which borders Detroit. Off to the Dearborn Hillers for any kind of hillel meat you can imagine.

I made paprika/lime quail the other day. Word.

And I always keep a brace of coneys on hand for my famous leek 'n coney pot pie. They even sell them with the guts 'n gizzards and all for the gravy.

Detroit may have problems...but we have awesome food.

I'll say! We have good asian and indian grocers here, but nothing like that!

Your culinary expertise and your open minded love of food of any kind are obvious in your posts!

:mug: I grew rocotos with little success 3 years ago. Everything else did so well, I think I got weak seed. (even the good seeds are brown though, WIERD!)

You and creamygoodness (my alter ego) ought to talk. He regularly eats chicken hearts and livers.

For me, when I try to emulate a lot of recipes that are hispanic/spanish or mexican in nature there is a factor that is often left out but makes a big difference.
It's the concept of high heat. When many of these dishes are made, they are flash cooked at very high temps. For example, I make shrimp dish that is spanish with shrimp, olive oil, garlic, salt, lemon juice,parsley, and smoked paprika. Now, if you combine the ingredients together and cook at moderate temps until shrimp are cooked you will get a decent dish that is ok. However, if you make the pan good and hot before adding the oil, then quick add the oil, garlic and shrimp so you get a carmelizing sear going. Then when the garlic is about to get overly brown, you slow it down with the lemon juice and paprika and maybe a little white wine, you'll get a great dish that has a roasty/carmelized flavor that is out of this world. Same with meat dishes where you cook the meat first. If you sear it and get a good amount of browning that will add flavor to the dish, versus making the meat grey and cooked with no additional flavoring.
It's often simple ingredients that are fresh and cooked well.

It's the concept of high heat. When many of these dishes are made, they are flash cooked at very high temps.

Actually, many Mexican and Central American dishes rely on low and slow heat methods like braising, stewing, simmering, and pit-roasting at low temps. That is generally their style. The Chinese however like to cook very quickly with scorching hot Woks.

Preheating a pan before cooking is really a common sense practice. You rarely start anything in a cold pan, aside from something like a fatty duck breast that you want to slowly render out and not overcook or burn.

I grew rocotos with little success 3 years ago. Everything else did so well, I think I got weak seed. (even the good seeds are brown though, WIERD!)

You and creamygoodness (my alter ego) ought to talk. He regularly eats chicken hearts and livers.

I can't grow things. I kill everything. What's that old joke? "I killed my cactus which bums me out because it means I'm less nourishing than a desert." Fortunately for me my wife is a professional gardener. She got her Masters at UM in conservation biology and has been doing the organics thing for going on a decade. She grows me all of my fresh veggies. Since I'm picking up beer making, I've convinced her to trellis our backyard and grow hops. When she realized it would turn our backyard into a sort of shade hanger, she agreed. FRESH HOPS ON THE WAY!

creamygoodness is a bold eater, eh? My kind of guy (girl?)! If there's one thing I can't stand it's people who have a billion food peculiarities. I learned to like everything. EVERYTHING. Although that was put to the test in Africa when I ate giant locusts...but either way. Chicken brains, spicy food competitions, steamed beef head, veal tongue (a french delicacy), yes please.

Both high heat and low have their attributes, but I will agree that with a meat like shrimp that is best served at a very precise "doneness" slow cooking is the enemy and flash cooking is better.

High heat and maillard are good for even a slow dish that is then turned down low and simmered after being seared.

I can't grow things. I kill everything. What's that old joke? "I killed my cactus which bums me out because it means I'm less nourishing than a desert." Fortunately for me my wife is a professional gardener. She got her Masters at UM in conservation biology and has been doing the organics thing for going on a decade. She grows me all of my fresh veggies. Since I'm picking up beer making, I've convinced her to trellis our backyard and grow hops. When she realized it would turn our backyard into a sort of shade hanger, she agreed. FRESH HOPS ON THE WAY!

creamygoodness is a bold eater, eh? My kind of guy (girl?)! If there's one thing I can't stand it's people who have a billion food peculiarities. I learned to like everything. EVERYTHING. Although that was put to the test in Africa when I ate giant locusts...but either way. Chicken brains, spicy food competitions, steamed beef head, veal tongue (a french delicacy), yes please.

I changed my mind. I no longer like you......

Your wife grows peppers and veggies and hops FOR YOU????????lol.

Wow. I an envious! She sounds like a cool chick.

I am a lot more adventurous than many of my friends, but UNI sashimi (raw sea urchin) was about the most adventurous I had gotten.

Chicken hearts are next!

OOOH....uni. Dreaded, dreaded uni.

Ok, that one is a stretch for me. I'd eat it again...but I've had it fresh from urchins off the coast of oregon and i've had it in sushi...and it tastes like rotten sea water.

Funny you mention that. That, combined with a lung...might be my least favorite things to eat.

OOOH....uni. Dreaded, dreaded uni.

Ok, that one is a stretch for me. I'd eat it again...but I've had it fresh from urchins off the coast of oregon and i've had it in sushi...and it tastes like rotten sea water.

Funny you mention that. That, combined with a lung...might be my least favorite things to eat.

YAYAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (ala regular show;))

I impressed the culinary dud who bagged a gardener!

Actually I am not sure that I would ever eat it again. Lung? Nope!

Back