White Lab's Cry Havoc-Papazian's Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey check this out! I heard about this but I guess White Labs is selling it now.

This is from AHB

This signature strain, from Charlie Papazian, has the ability to ferment at both ale and lager temperatures allowing the brewer to produce diverse beer styles. The recipes in both Papazian's books, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion, were originally developed and brewed with this yeast. Papazian had "Cry Havoc" in his yeast stable since 1983. When fermented at ale temperatures, the yeast produces fruity esters reminiscent of berries and apples. Hop character comes through well with hop accented beers. Diacetyl production will be very low when proper fermentation techniques are used. When fermented at lager temperatures, esters are low in high gravity beers and negligible in other beers. Pleasant baked bread-like yeast aroma is often perceived in malt accented lagers. Slightly extended fermentation times may be experienced compared to other lagers. Some fermentation circumstances may produce sulfur aroma compounds, but these will usually dissipate with time. Good yeast for bottle conditioning. For Ales: Attenuation: 66-70 Flocculation: M-L Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-74°F Optimum Cellaring Temperature: 50-55°F + Alt beers can be cellared at lagering temperatures For Lagers: Attenuation: 66-70 Flocculation: L Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 55-58°F Optimum Lagering Temperature: 32-37°F

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_77_155_395&products_id=11176

Anyone use this or know anything else about it?

Look for the podcast of Basic Brewing Radio where in interviews Charlie Papazian, he talks about it there.

He said a couple years back it got infected with wild yeast, he brewed some wort, pitched, let it ferment, and a few years later tried it again: perfect. He said he sent it to white labs for analysis and they said it was remarkably pure (and looks like they saved some for them selves). He said he got it from a large brewer back in the early 80s when he was making a special beer for a local microbrewery, he didn't say which brewery but he said that he talks about it one of his books.

It's Budweiser's yeast. I believe one of his books says that.

Its apparently mutated to work as both lager and ale yeast. I would guess soemthing like a Koelsh or Alt yeast.

jammer said:
It's Budweiser's yeast.

I thought so because I think he said something about St. Louis.

It makes sense that it would work well at both ale and lager temps. It probably a REALLY clean fermenting yeast so that Bud can ferment at higher temps (cooler=$$) and shorten lagering since there will be fewer off flavors.

Or over the years (after leaving the factory) the yest could have been conditioned as to withstand both environments.

Yeah, he makes a crack in his interview on the Basic Brewing Radio Podcast about how he won't mention WHO's yeast it is, but that its a major brand.

Sean

Latest posts

Back